OREMUS: 16 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 15 19:19:48 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, February 16, 2008

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:81-104

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your loving-kindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.
O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.
O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 26.16 end]:

This very day the Lord your God is commanding you to observe these statutes and
ordinances; so observe them diligently with all your heart and with all your soul.
Today you have obtained the Lord's agreement: to be your God; and for you to walk
in his ways, to keep his statutes, his commandments, and his ordinances, and to obey
him. Today the Lord has obtained your agreement: to be his treasured people, as he
promised you, and to keep his commandments; for him to set you high above all
nations that he has made, in praise and in fame and in honour; and for you to be a
people holy to the Lord your God, as he promised.

HYMN
Words: William Kethe (died 1594), 1561
Tune: Old 100th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a142.html

All people that on earth do dwell,
sing to the Lord with cheerful voice:
him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell,
come ye before him and rejoice.

The Lord, ye know, is God indeed;
without our aid he did us make:
we are his folk, he doth us feed,
and for his sheep he doth us take.

O enter then his gates with praise,
approach with joy his courts unto;
praise, laud, and bless his Name always,
for it is seemly so to do.

For why? the Lord our God is good,
his mercy is for ever sure;
his truth at all times firmly stood,
and shall from age to age endure.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom heaven and earth adore,
from men and from the angel host
be praise and glory evermore.

SECOND READING [Matthew 5.43 end]:

Jesus said, 'You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbour and hate
your enemy." But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute
you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on
the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For
if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the
tax-collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more
are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect,
therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.'

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

Righteous Lord God,
we ask you to make your face shine upon us
that, as we yearn for you,
we may know you ever close at hand
and rejoice in the life you give;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.