OREMUS: 12 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 11 20:17:54 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 49

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,' says the Lord.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

FIRST READING [Isaiah 55.10 11]:

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
   and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
   giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
   it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
   and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [Matthew 6.7 15]:

Jesus said,  'When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do;
for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like
them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
'Pray then in this way:
Our Father in heaven,
   hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
   Your will be done,
     on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.*
And forgive us our debts,
     as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And do not bring us to the time of trial,*
     but rescue us from the evil one.*
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you;
but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

God of mercy and tenderness,
giver of life and conqueror of death,
look upon our weakness and grief,
and restore us to health,
that we may sing a new song to your praise;
through Jesus Christ our risen Lord. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.