OREMUS: 10 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 9 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, February 10, 2008
The First Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Rock (Deuteronomy 32.1-12)

Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop as the rain,
my speech distil as the dew,
as the gentle rain on the grass,
and as the showers upon the meadow.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
Ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock, his work is perfect; for all his ways are just:
a faithful God without deceit, just and upright is he.
His degenerate children have dealt corruptly with him;
a perverse and crooked generation.
Do you thus repay the Lord, you foolish and senseless people?
Is not he your father, who created you,
who made you and established you?
Remember the days of old, consider the years long past;
ask your father, and he will show you;
your elders, and they will tell you.
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided the children of earth,
he fixed the bounds of the peoples
according to the number of the children of God.
For the Lord's own portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
He sustained him in a desert land,
in the howling waste of the wilderness;
he shielded him and cared for him;
he kept him as the apple of his eye.
As an eagle stirs up its nest, and hovers over its young,
spreading out its wings, takes them,
and bears them aloft on its pinions,
So the Lord alone did guide him,
and no foreign god was with him.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 6:4-9, 16-25]:

Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your
God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these
words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children
and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie
down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on
your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Do not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah. You must
diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and his decrees, and his
statutes that he has commanded you. Do what is right and good in the sight of the
Lord, so that it may go well with you, and so that you may go in and occupy the good
land that the Lord swore to your ancestors to give you, thrusting out all your enemies
from before you, as the Lord has promised.
When your children ask you in time to come, 'What is the meaning of the decrees and
the statutes and the ordinances that the Lord our God has commanded you?' then you
shall say to your children, 'We were Pharaoh's slaves in Egypt, but the Lord brought
us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. The Lord displayed before our eyes great and
awesome signs and wonders against Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his household. He
brought us out from there in order to bring us in, to give us the land that he promised
on oath to our ancestors. Then the Lord commanded us to observe all these statutes,
to fear the Lord our God, for our lasting good, so as to keep us alive, as is now the
case. If we diligently observe this entire commandment before the Lord our God, as he
has commanded us, we will be in the right.'

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly (1769-1855), 1820
Tune: St. Magnus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t173.html

The head that once was crowned with thorns
is crowned with glory now;
a royal diadem adorns
the mighty Victor's brow.

The highest place that heaven affords
is his, is his by right,
the King of kings, and Lord of lords,
and heaven's eternal Light;

The joy all of all who dwell above,
the joy of all below,
to whom he manifests his love
and grants his Name to know.

To them the cross with all its shame,
with all its grace is given;
their name, an everlasting name;
their joy, the joy of heaven.

They suffer with their Lord below,
they reign with him above,
their profit and their joy to know
the mystery of his love.

The cross he bore is life and health,
though shame and death to him:
his people's hope, his people's wealth,
their everlasting theme.

SECOND READING [Luke 15:1-10]:

Now all the tax-collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to Jesus. And the
Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, 'This fellow welcomes sinners
and eats with them.'
So he told them this parable: 'Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing
one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that
is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices.
And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to
them, "Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost." Just so, I tell you,
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine
righteous people who need no repentance.

'Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a
lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it,
she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, "Rejoice with me, for I have
found the coin that I had lost." Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the
angels of God over one sinner who repents.'

Lord, we pray for this modern world
in which faith comes hard,
where people find it difficult to raise their eyes
above the material things that are so necessary to life.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who find it hard to believe
because they have too many things,
and for those who find it hard
because they don't have enough.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who have more to eat than they need,
and those who are dying from lack of food.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for parents who, because of their poverty
and a lack of concern on the part of others,
must watch their children die.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who suffer from disease,
from confusion and guilt, from depression and fear.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who face each day with dread
because their lives are so dominated by the power of others.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are so lonely
that life is robbed of all loveliness and hope.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray because our love for you is a love for one
whose compassion embraces all human suffering.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,