OREMUS: 7 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 6 19:23:29 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 107:33-43

The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30.15 end]:

See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. If you obey
the commandments of the Lord your God that I am commanding you today, by loving
the Lord your God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees,
and ordinances, then you shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will
bless you in the land that you are entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and
you do not hear, but are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, I
declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you
are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to witness against
you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life
so that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying him,
and holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may
live in the land that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac,
and to Jacob.

HYMN
Words:  Bernard of Clairvaux, twelfth century;
trans. Ray Palmer, 1858
Tune: Abends, Eisenach, Jesu dulcis memoria, Christe Redemptor

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j199.html

Jesus, thou joy of loving hearts!
Thou Fount of life, thou Light of men!
>From the best bliss that earth imparts
we turn unfilled to thee again.

Thy truth unchanged hath ever stood;
thou savest those that on thee call;
to them that seek thee thou art good;
to them that find thee All in all.

We taste thee, O thou living Bread,
and long to feast upon thee still;
we drink of thee, the fountainhead,
and thirst our souls from thee to fill.

Our restless spirits yearn for thee,
where'er our changeful lot is cast;
glad, when thy gracious smile we see,
blest, when our faith can hold thee fast.

O Jesus, ever with us stay;
make all our moments calm and bright;
chase the dark night of sin away,
shed o'er the world thy holy light.

SECOND READING [Luke 9.22 25]:

Jesus said, 'The Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the
elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.'
Then he said to them all, 'If any want to become my followers, let them deny
themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save
their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it
profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?'

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Remember, O Lord,
what you have wrought in us,
and not what we deserve;
and as you have called us to your service,
make us worthy of our calling;

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.