OREMUS: 4 February 2008

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 4 12:13:20 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, February 4, 2008

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

  for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
  or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
  and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
    with the favour you have for your people,*
  and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
    and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
  that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
  we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.
In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
    nor remember the abundance of your love;*
  they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name’s sake,*
  to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
  and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
  and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
  not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
  and sang him songs of praise.
But they soon forgot his deeds*
  and did not wait for his counsel.
A craving seized them in the wilderness,*
  and they put God to the test in the desert.
He gave them what they asked,*
  but sent leanness into their soul.
They envied Moses in the camp,*
  and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed Dathan*
  and covered the company of Abiram.
Fire blazed up against their company,*
  and flames devoured the wicked.
Israel made a bull-calf at Horeb*
  and worshipped a molten image;
And so they exchanged their Glory*
  for the image of an ox that feeds on grass.
They forgot God their saviour,*
  who had done great things in Egypt,
Wonderful deeds in the land of Ham,*
  and fearful things at the Red Sea.
So he would have destroyed them,
    had not Moses his chosen
    stood before him in the breach,*
  to turn away his wrath from consuming them.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 15.13 14, 30, 16.5 13]:

A messenger came to David, saying, 'The hearts of the Israelites have gone
after Absalom.' Then David said to all his officials who were with him at
Jerusalem, 'Get up! Let us flee, or there will be no escape for us from
Absalom. Hurry, or he will soon overtake us, and bring disaster down upon
us, and attack the city with the edge of the sword.'

But David went up the ascent of the Mount of Olives, weeping as he went,
with his head covered and walking barefoot; and all the people who were
with him covered their heads and went up, weeping as they went.

When King David came to Bahurim, a man of the family of the house of Saul
came out whose name was Shimei son of Gera; he came out cursing. He threw
stones at David and at all the servants of King David; now all the people
and all the warriors were on his right and on his left. Shimei shouted
while he cursed, 'Out! Out! Murderer! Scoundrel! The Lord has avenged on
all of you the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned;
and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of your son Absalom. See,
disaster has overtaken you; for you are a man of blood.'

Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, 'Why should this dead dog
curse my lord the king? Let me go over and take off his head.' But the king
said, 'What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing
because the Lord has said to him, "Curse David", who then shall say, "Why
have you done so?" ' David said to Abishai and to all his servants, 'My own
son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Let him alone,
and let him curse; for the Lord has bidden him. It may be that the Lord
will look on my distress, and the Lord will repay me with good for this
cursing of me today.' So David and his men went on the road, while Shimei
went along on the hillside opposite him and cursed as he went, throwing
stones and flinging dust at him.

HYMN
Words: Michael Bruce (1746-1767), 1764
Tune: Warrington, Wareham, Melcombe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w405.ht ml

Where high the heavenly temple stands,
the house of God not made with hands,
a great High Priest our nature wears,
the Guardian of mankind appears.

He, who for men their surety stood,
and poured on earth his precious blood,
pursues in heaven his mighty plan,
the Savior and the Friend of man.

Though now ascended up on high,
he bends on earth a brother's eye;
partaker of the human name,
he knows the frailty of our frame.

Our fellow-sufferer yet retains
a fellow feeling of our pains;
and still remembers in the skies
his tears, his agonies and cries.

In every pang that rends the heart
the Man of Sorrows had a part;
he sympathizes with our grief,
and to the sufferer sends relief.

With boldness therefore at the throne
let us make all our sorrows know;
and ask the aid of heavenly power
to help us in the evil hour.

SECOND READING [Mark 5.1 20]:

Jesus and the disciples came to the other side of the lake, to the country
of the Gerasenes. And when he had stepped out of the boat, immediately a
man out of the tombs with an unclean spirit met him. He lived among the
tombs; and no one could restrain him any more, even with a chain; for he
had often been restrained with shackles and chains, but the chains he
wrenched apart, and the shackles he broke in pieces; and no one had the
strength to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains
he was always howling and bruising himself with stones. When he saw Jesus
from a distance, he ran and bowed down before him; and he shouted at the
top of his voice, 'What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High
God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me.' For he had said to him, 'Come
out of the man, you unclean spirit!' Then Jesus asked him, 'What is your
name?' He replied, 'My name is Legion; for we are many.' He begged him
earnestly not to send them out of the country. Now there on the hillside a
great herd of swine was feeding; and the unclean spirits begged him, 'Send
us into the swine; let us enter them.' So he gave them permission. And the
unclean spirits came out and entered the swine; and the herd, numbering
about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the lake, and were
drowned in the lake.

The swineherds ran off and told it in the city and in the country. Then
people came to see what it was that had happened. They came to Jesus and
saw the demoniac sitting there, clothed and in his right mind, the very man
who had had the legion; and they were afraid. Those who had seen what had
happened to the demoniac and to the swine reported it. Then they began to
beg Jesus to leave their neighbourhood. As he was getting into the boat,
the man who had been possessed by demons begged him that he might be with
him. But Jesus refused, and said to him, 'Go home to your friends, and tell
them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.'
And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had
done for him; and everyone was amazed.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted
from prayers in Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.