OREMUS: 1 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 31 17:00:01 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Thursday, January 1, 2009
The Naming and Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, O God, the almighty Father,
for your placing us into a world of space and time,
and through the events of our lives
you bless us with your love.
Shed forth the glory of your  presence
that we may see your love at work
and live in the light of the event
that gives us joy forever:
the coming of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:1-10]:

When all these things have happened to you, the blessings and the curses that I have
set before you, if you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your
God has driven you, and return to the Lord your God, and you and your children obey
him with all your heart and with all your soul, just as I am commanding you today,
then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you,
gathering you again from all the peoples among whom the Lord your God has
scattered you. Even if you are exiled to the ends of the world, from there the Lord
your God will gather you, and from there he will bring you back. The Lord your God
will bring you into the land that your ancestors possessed, and you will possess it; he
will make you more prosperous and numerous than your ancestors.

Moreover, the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your
descendants, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all
your soul, in order that you may live. The Lord your God will put all these curses on
your enemies and on the adversaries who took advantage of you. Then you shall again
obey the Lord, observing all his commandments that I am commanding you today, and
the Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all your undertakings, in
the fruit of your body, in the fruit of your livestock, and in the fruit of your soil. For
the Lord will again take delight in prospering you, just as he delighted in prospering
your ancestors, when you obey the Lord your God by observing his commandments
and decrees that are written in this book of the law, because you turn to the Lord your
God with all your heart and with all your soul.

HYMN
Words: Meaux Breviary, 1713; trans. Francis Pott, 1861
Tune: Tallis' Ordinal

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html

The year is gone, beyond recall,
with all its hopes and fears,
with all its bright and gladdening smiles,
with all its mourners' tears.

Thy thankful people praise thee, Lord,
for countless gifts received;
and pray for grace to keep the faith
which saints of old believed.

To thee we come, O gracious Lord,
the newborn year to bless;
defend our land from pestilence,
give peace and plenteousness.

Forgive this nation's many sins,
the growth of vice restrain;
and help us all with sin to strive,
and crowns of life to gain.

>From evil deeds that stain the past
we now desire to flee;
and pray that future years may all
be spent, good Lord, for thee.

O Father, let thy watchful eye
still look on us in love,
that we may praise thee, year by year,
with angel hosts above.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 2:11-end]:

So then, remember that at one time you Gentiles by birth, called 'the uncircumcision'
by those who are called 'the circumcision' a physical circumcision made in the flesh
by human hands  remember that you were at that time without Christ, being aliens
from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having
no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were
far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace; in his flesh
he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the
hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances,
so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making
peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus
putting to death that hostility through it. So he came and proclaimed peace to you who
were far off and peace to those who were near; for through him both of us have access
in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are
citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the
foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone.
In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord;
in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling-place for God.

In a world of change and hope,
of fear and adventure,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In human rebellion and obedience,
in our seeking and our finding,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In the common life of our society,
in prosperity and need,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

As your Church proclaims your goodness,
in words and action,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Among our friends,
and in our homes,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our times of joy,
in our days of sorrow,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our strengths and triumphs,
in our weakness and at our death,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In your saints in glory
and on the day of Christ's coming,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Eternal Father,
you gave to your incarnate Son
the holy name of Jesus
to be the sign of our salvation
Plant in every heart, we pray,
the love of him who is the Savior of the world,
our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God keep us in all our days.
May Christ shield us in all our ways.
May the Spirit brings us healing and peace.
May God the Holy Trinity drive all darkness from us
and pour upon us blessing and light. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession and the closing sentence are adapted from _The Promise
of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the
Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.