OREMUS: 30 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 29 17:26:35 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Josephine Butler, Social Reformer, 1906

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 33

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1,2,3b-5,7,8)

My heart exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.
There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.
For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.
Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.
The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.
Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.
You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.
You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.
For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 59:1-3, 15b-21]:

See, the Lord's hand is not too short to save,
   nor his ear too dull to hear.
Rather, your iniquities have been barriers
   between you and your God,
and your sins have hidden his face from you
   so that he does not hear.
For your hands are defiled with blood,
   and your fingers with iniquity;
your lips have spoken lies,
   your tongue mutters wickedness.
Truth is lacking,
   and whoever turns from evil is despoiled.

The Lord saw it, and it displeased him
   that there was no justice.
He saw that there was no one,
   and was appalled that there was no one to intervene;
so his own arm brought him victory,
   and his righteousness upheld him.
He put on righteousness like a breastplate,
   and a helmet of salvation on his head;
he put on garments of vengeance for clothing,
   and wrapped himself in fury as in a mantle.
According to their deeds, so will he repay;
   wrath to his adversaries, requital to his enemies;
   to the coastlands he will render requital.
So those in the west shall fear the name of the Lord,
   and those in the east, his glory;
for he will come like a pent-up stream
   that the wind of the Lord drives on.

And he will come to Zion as Redeemer,
   to those in Jacob who turn from transgression, says the Lord.
And as for me, this is my covenant with them, says the Lord: my spirit that is upon
you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth,
or out of the mouths of your children, or out of the mouths of your children's children,
says the Lord, from now on and for ever.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (1926-) (c)
Tune: Beacon Hill

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h000.html

Had he not loved us
he had never come;
yet is he love
and love is all his way:
low to the mystery
of the Virgin's womb
Christ bows his glory--
born on Christmas Day.

Had he not loved us
he had never come;
had he not come
he need have never died,
nor won the victory
of the vacant tomb,
the awful triumph
of the Crucified.

Had he not loved us
he had never come;
still we were lost
in sorrow, sin and shame,
the doors fast shut
on our eternal home
which now stand open--
for he loved and came.

SECOND READING [1 John 2:1-17]:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if
anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and
he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the
whole world.

Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments.
Whoever says, 'I have come to know him', but does not obey his commandments, is a
liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in
this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are
in him: whoever says, 'I abide in him', ought to walk just as he walked.

Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you
have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word that you have heard.
Yet I am writing you a new commandment that is true in him and in you, because the
darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. Whoever says, 'I am in
the light', while hating a brother or sister, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves a
brother or sister lives in the light, and in such a person there is no cause for stumbling.
But whoever hates another believer is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does
not know the way to go, because the darkness has brought on blindness.
I am writing to you, little children,
   because your sins are forgiven on account of his name.
I am writing to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young people,
   because you have conquered the evil one.
I write to you, children,
   because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young people,
   because you are strong
   and the word of God abides in you,
     and you have overcome the evil one.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those
who love the world; for all that is in the world the desire of the flesh, the desire of
the eyes, the pride in riches comes not from the Father but from the world. And the
world and its desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God live for ever.

Unlooked for,
Christ comes.

To shepherds,
watching their sheep through the long, dark night,
he comes with the glory of the angels' song
and in the humility of the manger.

Loving God, we pray for our community...
In the midst of our everyday lives,
surprise us with glimpses of your glorious, humble love,
at the heart of existence.

Lord, you come to your people
and set us free.

Searched for,
Christ comes.

To the wise and powerful,
star-led to Bethlehem, seeking a king,
he comes, child of Mary,
crowned with meekness,
worthy of every gift.

Loving God, we pray for the leaders of the world...
Guide them with your light
to seek wisdom, justice and peace.

Lord, you come to your people
and set us free.

Longed for,
Christ comes.

To Anna and Simeon,
whose days were lived in faithful expectation,
he came, a new life to the old,
a living prophecy of hope.

Lord, you come to your people
and set us free.

To men and women, girls and boys,
crying out in darkness, pain and loneliness,
he comes, at one with us,
our Savior, Healer and Friend.

Loving God, we pray for those
whose lives are hard and painful
or whose existence is sorrowful, bitter or empty...
In their need, may they know your healing touch,
reaching out to comfort, strengthen and restore.

Lord, you come to your people
and set us free.

Unlooked for and not searched for,
longed for and prayed for,
loving God, you come to us now
as you have come to your people in every age.

We thank you for all who have reflected
the light of Christ through the ages,
especially the ever-blessed Virgin Mary,
blessed Joseph, blessed John the Baptist [and...].
Help us to follow their example
and bring us with them to eternal life.

Lord, you come to your people
and set us free.

All creation was astonished at your appearing, O Christ,
for in your presence no one living can be justified,
yet you have redeemed us and we rejoice in your salvation:
grant that your righteousness may illuminate our hearts
to the glory of your Name. Amen.

God of compassion and love,
by your grace, your servant Josephine Butler
followed in the way of your incarnate Son
in caring for those in need.
Help us like her to work with strength
for the restoration of all to the dignity and freedom
of those created in your image;
through Jesus Christ our Savior,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

Hymn (c) by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories
except the UK, Europe & Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 6DY England

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Josephine Elizabeth Grey was born in Northumberland in 1828. She was
schooled at home, where she read English and Italian literature, and
translations of the Church Fathers. When 24 years old, she married George
Butler, then a tutor at Oxford. She was an early advocate of better provisions
for university education for women (see her contributions to Woman's Work
and Woman's Culture, 1869). Later, she focused her energies on the plight of
women on the fringes of society. Having settled in Liverpool in 1866, she
helped to establish homes and refuges for friendless women, housing large
numbers of them in her own home. The Contagious Disease Acts of 1864,
1866, and 1869 in effect established government brothels for soldiers and
sailors. They placed prostitutes under police supervision while essentially
making it impossible for them to leave their line of work. The Acts applied to
seaports and garrison towns (although it was proposed eventually to extend
them to the rest of the country), and they were defended on the grounds that it
was inevitable that soldier and sailors would have sex, and that it was better
that they do so under government supervision, so as to control the spread of
sexually transmitted diseases (safe sex), and so that men, having an ample
supply of prostitutes at their disposal, would leave nice girls alone. Mrs Butler
led the campaign for the repeal of these Acts, which finally succeeded in 1886.
This included the abolition of similar arrangements in British India.
Meanwhile, Mrs Butler extended her concerns to the continent of Europe. She
was able to show that in Brussels a number of under-age English girls were
being involuntarily held as prostitutes with the connivance of the police, and
the Police Chief and his second in command were accordingly dismissed. It
was largely through her influence that the laws for the state regulation of vice
were reformed to prevent the enslavement of prostitutes in Switzerland,
Holland, Norway, France, and Italy.
In 1886 her husband (who had given his full support to her work) fell seriously
ill, and she retired from public life to care for him. She died on 30 December
1906.