OREMUS: 23 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 22 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 23, 2008
O Emmanuel

Blessed are you, Emmanuel
gentle Ruler and Giver of Laws,
the nations cry out for you
to rescue them from their exile.
You come and visit us in peace, O Lord,
and we rejoice with renewed hearts.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 2:1b-10]:

Hannah prayed and said,
'My heart exults in the Lord;
   my strength is exalted in my God.
My mouth derides my enemies,
   because I rejoice in my victory.

'There is no Holy One like the Lord,
   no one besides you;
   there is no Rock like our God.
Talk no more so very proudly,
   let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
   and by him actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken,
   but the feeble gird on strength.
Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread,
   but those who were hungry are fat with spoil.
The barren has borne seven,
   but she who has many children is forlorn.
The Lord kills and brings to life;
   he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
The Lord makes poor and makes rich;
   he brings low, he also exalts.
He raises up the poor from the dust;
   he lifts the needy from the ash heap,
to make them sit with princes
   and inherit a seat of honour.
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord's,
   and on them he has set the world.

'He will guard the feet of his faithful ones,
   but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness;
   for not by might does one prevail.
The Lord! His adversaries shall be shattered;
   the Most High will thunder in heaven.
The Lord will judge the ends of the earth;
   he will give strength to his king,
   and exalt the power of his anointed.'

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart (1722-1771), alt.
Tune: Rustington

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.html

Where is this stupendous stranger?
Prophets, shepherds, kings, advise.
Lead me to my Master's manger,
show me where my Savior lies.
O Most Mighty! O Most Holy!
Far beyond the seraph's thought:
art thou then so weak and lowly
as unheeded prophets taught?

O the magnitude of meekness!
Worth from worth immortal sprung;
O the strength of infant weakness,
if eternal is so young!
God all-bounteous, all-creative,
whom no ills from good dissuade,
is incarnate, and a native
of the very world he made.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:57-66]:

Now the time came for Elizabeth to give birth, and she bore a son. Her neighbours and
relatives heard that the Lord had shown his great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with
her.

On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him
Zechariah after his father. But his mother said, 'No; he is to be called John.' They said
to her, 'None of your relatives has this name.' Then they began motioning to his father
to find out what name he wanted to give him. He asked for a writing-tablet and wrote,
'His name is John.' And all of them were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened
and his tongue freed, and he began to speak, praising God. Fear came over all their
neighbours, and all these things were talked about throughout the entire hill country of
Judea. All who heard them pondered them and said, 'What then will this child
become?' For, indeed, the hand of the Lord was with him.

Merciful God,
if we have spent so much time shopping
that we have had little time to spend
with those for whom we are shopping,
forgive us and give us sensitivity.

If we become so busy practicing for the Christmas programs
that we forget to think about what they mean,
forgive us and give us understanding.

If we decorate our houses
but neglect the inner beauty of our homes,
forgive us and grant us love.

If we are worried about how much Christmas is going to cost us,
but have given little thought to how much Christmas cost God,
forgive us and give us perspective.

If we are so consumed with thinking about Christmas
that we have little consideration
of the meaning of the first Christmas,
forgive us and give us insight.

Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation,
that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming,
may find in us a mansion prepared for himself;
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
and ransom captive Israel,
that mourns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner and is based
on the antiphons O Emmanuel and Veni Domine.

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.