OREMUS: 19 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 18 21:45:30 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Friday, December 19, 2008
O Radix Jesse

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You sent your Son, the Word born in silence,
to be born as the majestic fruit of Jesse's stem,
standing as a sign to the people of Israel,
and King before whom all kings shall shut their mouths
and whom all nations shall seek.

Bless the Lord, O my soul;*
 O Lord my God, how excellent is your greatness!
   you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light as with a cloak*
 and spread out the heavens like a curtain.
You lay the beams of your chambers
   in the waters above;*
 you make the clouds your chariot;
   you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers*
 and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth upon its foundations,*
 so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep as with a mantle;*
 the waters stood higher than the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;*
 at the voice of your thunder they hastened away.
They went up into the hills
   and down to the valleys beneath,*
 to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass;*
 they shall not again cover the earth.
You send the springs into the valleys;*
 they flow between the mountains.
All the beasts of the field drink their fill from them,*
 and the wild asses quench their thirst.
Beside them the birds of the air make their nests*
 and sing among the branches.
You water the mountains from your dwelling on high;*
 the earth is fully satisfied by the fruit of your works.
You make grass grow for flocks and herds*
 and plants to serve us all;
That they may bring forth food from the earth,*
 and wine to gladden our hearts,
Oil to make a cheerful countenance,*
 and bread to strengthen the heart.
The trees of the Lord are full of sap,*
 the cedars of Lebanon which he planted,
In which the birds build their nests,*
 and in whose tops the stork makes his dwelling.
The high hills are a refuge for the mountain goats,*
 and the stony cliffs for the rock badgers.
You appointed the moon to mark the seasons,*
 and the sun knows the time of its setting.
You make darkness that it may be night,*
 in which all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar after their prey*
 and seek their food from God.
The sun rises and they slip away*
 and lay themselves down in their dens.
The labourer goes forth to work*
 and to toil until the evening.
O Lord, how manifold are your works!*
 in wisdom you have made them all;
   the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the great and wide sea
   with its living things too many to number,*
 creatures both small and great.
There move the ships,
   and there is that Leviathan,*
 which you have made for the sport of it.
All of them look to you*
 to give them their food in due season.
You give it to them, they gather it;*
 you open your hand and they are filled with good things.
You hide your face and they are terrified;*
 you take away their breath
   and they die and return to their dust.
You send forth your Spirit and they are created;*
 and so you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;*
 may the Lord rejoice in all his works.
He looks at the earth and it trembles;*
 he touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;*
 I will praise my God while I have my being.
May these words of mine please him;*
 I will rejoice in the Lord.
Let sinners be consumed out of the earth,*
 and the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.*
 Alleluia!

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 33:13-end]:

Hear, you who are far away, what I have done;
   and you who are near, acknowledge my might.
The sinners in Zion are afraid;
   trembling has seized the godless:
'Who among us can live with the devouring fire?
   Who among us can live with everlasting flames?'
Those who walk righteously and speak uprightly,
   who despise the gain of oppression,
who wave away a bribe instead of accepting it,
   who stop their ears from hearing of bloodshed
   and shut their eyes from looking on evil,
they will live on the heights;
   their refuge will be the fortresses of rocks;
   their food will be supplied, their water assured.

Your eyes will see the king in his beauty;
   they will behold a land that stretches far away.
Your mind will muse on the terror:
   'Where is the one who counted?
   Where is the one who weighed the tribute?
   Where is the one who counted the towers?'
No longer will you see the insolent people,
   the people of an obscure speech that you cannot comprehend,
   stammering in a language that you cannot understand.
Look on Zion, the city of our appointed festivals!
   Your eyes will see Jerusalem,
   a quiet habitation, an immovable tent,
whose stakes will never be pulled up,
   and none of whose ropes will be broken.
But there the Lord in majesty will be for us
   a place of broad rivers and streams,
where no galley with oars can go,
   nor stately ship can pass.
For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our ruler,
   the Lord is our king; he will save us.

Your rigging hangs loose;
   it cannot hold the mast firm in its place,
   or keep the sail spread out.

Then prey and spoil in abundance will be divided;
   even the lame will fall to plundering.
And no inhabitant will say, 'I am sick';
   the people who live there will be forgiven their iniquity.

HYMN
Words: tanzas 1-2: German, fifteenth century carol; trans. Theodore Baker, 1894.
stanzas 3-4: Friedrich Layritz (1808-1859); trans. Harriet Reynolds Krauth (1845-1925).
Tune: Es ist ein Ros

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l189.html

Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
from tender stem hath sprung!
of Jesse's lineage coming,
as those of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright,
amid the cold of winter,
when half spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
the Rose I have in mind;
with Mary we behold it,
the Virgin Mother kind.
To show God's love aright,
she bore to us a Savior,
when half spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story
proclaimed by angels bright,
how Christ, the Lord of glory
was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped
and in the manger they found him,
as angel heralds said.

This Flower, whose fragrance tender
with sweetness fills the air,
dispels with glorious splendor
the darkness everywhere;
true man, yet very God,
from sin and death he saves us,
and lightens every load.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:5-25]:

In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who
belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her
name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly
according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord. But they had no
children, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were getting on in years.

Once when he was serving as priest before God and his section was on duty, he was
chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to enter the sanctuary of the
Lord and offer incense. Now at the time of the incense-offering, the whole assembly of
the people was praying outside. Then there appeared to him an angel of the Lord,
standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was
terrified; and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel said to him, 'Do not be afraid,
Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son,
and you will name him John. You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at
his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He must never drink wine or
strong drink; even before his birth he will be filled with the Holy Spirit. He will turn
many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. With the spirit and power of Elijah
he will go before him, to turn the hearts of parents to their children, and the
disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous, to make ready a people prepared for the
Lord.' Zechariah said to the angel, 'How will I know that this is so? For I am an old
man, and my wife is getting on in years.' The angel replied, 'I am Gabriel. I stand in
the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good
news. But now, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their
time, you will become mute, unable to speak, until the day these things occur.'

Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah, and wondered at his delay in the
sanctuary. When he did come out, he could not speak to them, and they realized that
he had seen a vision in the sanctuary. He kept motioning to them and remained unable
to speak. When his time of service was ended, he went to his home.

After those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for five months she remained in
seclusion. She said, 'This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favourably
on me and took away the disgrace I have endured among my people.'

As we look forward to your coming,
we call to mind our sins.

The hatred which divides nation from nation,
race from race, class from class:
Father forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations
to possess what is not their own:
Father forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands
and lays waste the earth:
Father forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others:
Father forgive.

Our indifference to the plight
of the imprisoned, the homeless and the refugee:
Father forgive.

The lust which dishonors
the bodies of men, women and children:
Father forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves
and not in God:
Father forgive.

O Root of Jesse,
master of the universe and ruler of the house of Israel,
your mighty acts have rescued remnants of your people
from the midst of slavery, exile, war, and holocaust:
Raise your scepter over us, that your saving rule
may be extended to all people in all places,
for the sake of him whom we know as Lord of all,
even Jesus, the Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here