OREMUS: 18 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 17 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Thursday, December 18, 2008
O Adonai

Blessed are you, God of hope,
the Lord of ancient Israel,
who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush
and gave him the holy law on Sinai.
You call us home from the exile of selfish oppression
to the freedom of justice,
the balm of healing,
and the joy of sharing.

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 33:7-16]:

I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel, and rebuild them as they
were at first. I will cleanse them from all the guilt of their sin against me, and I will
forgive all the guilt of their sin and rebellion against me. And this city shall be to me a
name of joy, a praise and a glory before all the nations of the earth who shall hear of
all the good that I do for them; they shall fear and tremble because of all the good and
all the prosperity I provide for it.

Thus says the Lord: In this place of which you say, 'It is a waste without human
beings or animals', in the towns of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem that are desolate,
without inhabitants, human or animal, there shall once more be heard the voice of
mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the
bride, the voices of those who sing, as they bring thank-offerings to the house of the
Lord:
'Give thanks to the Lord of hosts,
   for the Lord is good,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever!'
For I will restore the fortunes of the land as at first, says the Lord.

Thus says the Lord of hosts: In this place that is waste, without human beings or
animals, and in all its towns there shall again be pasture for shepherds resting their
flocks. In the towns of the hill country, of the Shephelah, and of the Negeb, in the land
of Benjamin, the places around Jerusalem, and in the towns of Judah, flocks shall again
pass under the hands of the one who counts them, says the Lord.

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will fulfil the promise I made to the
house of Israel and the house of Judah. In those days and at that time I will cause a
righteous Branch to spring up for David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness
in the land. In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. And this
is the name by which it will be called: 'The Lord is our righteousness.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, tenth century; trans. Charles Bigg, 1906
Tune: Verbum supernum prodiens

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h250.html

High Word of God, who once didst come,
leaving thy Father and thy home,
to succor by thy birth our kind,
when, towards thy advent, time declined,

Pour light upon us from above,
and fire our hearts with thy strong love,
that, as we hear thy Gospel read,
all fond desires may flee in dread;

That when thou comest from the skies,
great Judge, to open thine assize,
to give each hidden sin its smart,
and crown as kings the pure in heart,

We be not set at thy left hand,
where sentence due would bid us stand,
but with the saints thy face may see,
forever wholly loving thee.

Praise to the Father and the Son,
through all the ages as they run;
and to the holy Paraclete
be praise with them and worship meet.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 1]:

Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,

To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace.

We always give thanks to God for all of you and mention you in our prayers,
constantly remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labour of
love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. For we know, brothers and
sisters beloved by God, that he has chosen you, because our message of the gospel
came to you not in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full
conviction; just as you know what kind of people we proved to be among you for your
sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for in spite of persecution you
received the word with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example
to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded
forth from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place where your faith
in God has become known, so that we have no need to speak about it. For the people
of those regions report about us what kind of welcome we had among you, and how
you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God, and to wait for his Son
from heaven, whom he raised from the dead Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath
that is coming.

O Lord,
you have revealed yourself in manifold ways
throughout human history.
You are surely coming and without delay:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

At your coming all things will rejoice:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

You come to show us our dignity as God's children:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Look with compassion on the sick and the suffering:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Help us to recognize the signs of the times:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

May all things be judged in the light of your truth:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

O God of the exiles and the lost,
you promise restoration and wholeness
through the power of Jesus Christ.
Give us faith to live joyfully,
sustained by your promises
as we eagerly await the day when they will be fulfilled
for all the world to see,
through the coming of our your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found
here

O come, O come, thou Lord of might,