OREMUS: 16 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 15 17:00:01 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blessed are you, God, our beginning and our end,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
we thank you for the gift of your presence
through the long night of our travails.
You led you people on their journey into freedom,
a pillar a cloud by day, a pillar of fire at night.
You spoke to them through the Law,
and when, like sheep, they went astray
you sought them and guided them home.
You comforted them in times of suffering
and called them to be a light to the nations.
Now you do a new thing in our midst:
the voice of the Baptist cries out in the wilderness
and the way is prepared for the coming of your Son.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 30:8-17]:

Go now, write it before them on a tablet,
   and inscribe it in a book,
so that it may be for the time to come
   as a witness for ever.
For they are a rebellious people,
   faithless children,
children who will not hear
   the instruction of the Lord;
who say to the seers, 'Do not see';
   and to the prophets, 'Do not prophesy to us what is right;
speak to us smooth things,
   prophesy illusions,
leave the way, turn aside from the path,
   let us hear no more about the Holy One of Israel.'
Therefore thus says the Holy One of Israel:
Because you reject this word,
   and put your trust in oppression and deceit,
   and rely on them;
therefore this iniquity shall become for you
   like a break in a high wall, bulging out, and about to collapse,
   whose crash comes suddenly, in an instant;
its breaking is like that of a potter's vessel
   that is smashed so ruthlessly
that among its fragments not a sherd is found
   for taking fire from the hearth,
   or dipping water out of the cistern.

For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel:
In returning and rest you shall be saved;
   in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.
But you refused and said,
'No! We will flee upon horses'
   therefore you shall flee!
and, 'We will ride upon swift steeds'
   therefore your pursuers shall be swift!
A thousand shall flee at the threat of one,
   at the threat of five you shall flee,
until you are left
   like a flagstaff on the top of a mountain,
   like a signal on a hill.

HYMN
Words: Philip Paul Bliss, 1870
Tune: Hold the Fort

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h263.html

Ho, my comrades! see the signal waving in the sky!
Reinforcements now appearing, victory is nigh.
Refrain
"Hold the fort, for I am coming," Jesus signals still;
Wave the answer back to Heaven, "By Thy grace we will."

See the mighty host advancing, Satan leading on;
Mighty ones around us falling, courage almost gone! Refrain

See the glorious banner waving! Hear the trumpet blow!
In our Leader's Name we triumph over ev'ry foe. Refrain

Fierce and long the battle rages, but our help is near;
Onward comes our great Commander, cheer, my comrades, cheer! Refrain

SECOND READING [Mark 5:21-end]:

When Jesus had crossed again in the boat to the other side, a great crowd gathered
round him; and he was by the lake. Then one of the leaders of the synagogue named
Jairus came and, when he saw him, fell at his feet and begged him repeatedly, 'My
little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she
may be made well, and live.' So he went with him.

And a large crowd followed him and pressed in on him. Now there was a woman who
had been suffering from haemorrhages for twelve years. She had endured much under
many physicians, and had spent all that she had; and she was no better, but rather grew
worse. She had heard about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched
his cloak, for she said, 'If I but touch his clothes, I will be made well.' Immediately her
haemorrhage stopped; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease.
Immediately aware that power had gone forth from him, Jesus turned about in the
crowd and said, 'Who touched my clothes?' And his disciples said to him, 'You see
the crowd pressing in on you; how can you say, "Who touched me?" ' He looked all
round to see who had done it. But the woman, knowing what had happened to her,
came in fear and trembling, fell down before him, and told him the whole truth. He
said to her, 'Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of
your disease.'

While he was still speaking, some people came from the leader's house to say, 'Your
daughter is dead. Why trouble the teacher any further?' But overhearing what they
said, Jesus said to the leader of the synagogue, 'Do not fear, only believe.' He allowed
no one to follow him except Peter, James, and John, the brother of James. When they
came to the house of the leader of the synagogue, he saw a commotion, people
weeping and wailing loudly. When he had entered, he said to them, 'Why do you make
a commotion and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping.' And they laughed at him.
Then he put them all outside, and took the child's father and mother and those who
were with him, and went in where the child was. He took her by the hand and said to
her, 'Talitha cum', which means, 'Little girl, get up!' And immediately the girl got up
and began to walk about (she was twelve years of age). At this they were overcome
with amazement. He strictly ordered them that no one should know this, and told them
to give her something to eat.

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

Eternal Father,
our refuge from generation to generation,
in Christ your salvation has dawned for your people:
prosper the work of our hands
that the promise of your glorious kingdom
may be fulfilled in our midst;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May the Spirit so increase our faith and our commitment
that we may be Christ's servants in the world,
until he comes again
and all your purpose, Father, is accomplished,
in your eternal glory. Amen.

The psalms, intercession and collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

a Eucharistic Prayer by Colin Thompson, (c) 2003, United Reformed Church. Used
with permission.