OREMUS: 15 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 14 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Monday, December 15, 2008

Blessed are you, God, our beginning and our end,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
we thank you for the gift of your presence
through the long night of our travails.
You led you people on their journey into freedom,
a pillar a cloud by day, a pillar of fire at night.
You spoke to them through the Law,
and when, like sheep, they went astray
you sought them and guided them home.
You comforted them in times of suffering
and called them to be a light to the nations.
Now you do a new thing in our midst:
the voice of the Baptist cries out in the wilderness
and the way is prepared for the coming of your Son.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9)

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,
Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.
They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.
For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,
And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.
The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.
For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 29:1-4, 9-14]:

Ah, Ariel, Ariel,
   the city where David encamped!
Add year to year;
   let the festivals run their round.
Yet I will distress Ariel,
   and there shall be moaning and lamentation,
   and Jerusalem shall be to me like an Ariel.
And like David I will encamp against you;
   I will besiege you with towers
   and raise siege-works against you.
Then deep from the earth you shall speak,
   from low in the dust your words shall come;
your voice shall come from the ground like the voice of a ghost,
   and your speech shall whisper out of the dust.

Stupefy yourselves and be in a stupor,
   blind yourselves and be blind!
Be drunk, but not from wine;
   stagger, but not from strong drink!
For the Lord has poured out upon you
   a spirit of deep sleep;
he has closed your eyes, you prophets,
   and covered your heads, you seers.

 The vision of all this has become for you like the words of a sealed document. If it is
given to those who can read, with the command, 'Read this', they say, 'We cannot, for
it is sealed.' And if it is given to those who cannot read, saying, 'Read this', they say,
'We cannot read.'

The Lord said:
Because these people draw near with their mouths
   and honour me with their lips,
   while their hearts are far from me,
and their worship of me is a human commandment learned by rote;
so I will again do
   amazing things with this people,
   shocking and amazing.
The wisdom of their wise shall perish,
   and the discernment of the discerning shall be hidden.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Olivers (1725-1799), 1770
Tune: Leoni

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t149.html

The God of Abraham praise,
who reigns enthroned above;
Ancient of everlasting days,
and God of love;
Jehovah, great I AM,
by earth and heaven confessed:
I bow and bless the sacred Name
for ever blessed.

The God of Abraham praise,
at whose supreme command
from earth we rise, and seek the joys
at his right hand;
we all on earth forsake,
its wisdom, fame and power;
and him our only portion make,
our Shield and Tower.

The goodly land we see,
with peace and plenty blessed:
a land of sacred liberty
and endless rest;
there milk and honey flow,
and oil and wine abound,
and trees of life for ever grow,
with mercy crowned.

There dwells the Lord, our King,
the Lord, our Righteousness,
triumphant o'er the world and sin,
the Prince of Peace;
on Zion's sacred height
his kingdom he maintains,
and, glorious with his saints in light,
for ever reigns.

The God who reigns on high,
the great archangels sing,
and "Holy, holy, holy," cry,
"Almighty King!"
Who was and is the same,
and evermore shall be:
Jehovah, Father, great I AM,
we worship thee."

The whole triumphant host
give thanks to God on high;
"Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"
they ever cry;
hail, Abraham's God and mine;
I join the heavenly lays;
all might and majesty are thine,
and endless praise!

SECOND READING [Mark 5:1-20]:

Jesus and the disciples came to the other side of the lake, to the country of the
Gerasenes. And when he had stepped out of the boat, immediately a man out of the
tombs with an unclean spirit met him. He lived among the tombs; and no one could
restrain him any more, even with a chain; for he had often been restrained with
shackles and chains, but the chains he wrenched apart, and the shackles he broke in
pieces; and no one had the strength to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs
and on the mountains he was always howling and bruising himself with stones. When
he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and bowed down before him; and he shouted at
the top of his voice, 'What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?
I adjure you by God, do not torment me.' For he had said to him, 'Come out of the
man, you unclean spirit!' Then Jesus asked him, 'What is your name?' He replied, 'My
name is Legion; for we are many.' He begged him earnestly not to send them out of
the country. Now there on the hillside a great herd of swine was feeding; and the
unclean spirits begged him, 'Send us into the swine; let us enter them.' So he gave
them permission. And the unclean spirits came out and entered the swine; and the
herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the lake, and
were drowned in the lake.

The swineherds ran off and told it in the city and in the country. Then people came to
see what it was that had happened. They came to Jesus and saw the demoniac sitting
there, clothed and in his right mind, the very man who had had the legion; and they
were afraid. Those who had seen what had happened to the demoniac and to the swine
reported it. Then they began to beg Jesus to leave their neighbourhood. As he was
getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed by demons begged him that he
might be with him. But Jesus refused, and said to him, 'Go home to your friends, and
tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.'
And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done
for him; and everyone was amazed.

Watchful at all times,
let us pray for strength to stand with confidence
before our Maker and Redeemer.

That God may bring in his kingdom with judgement and mercy,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may establish among the nations
his sceptre of righteousness, let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the Church may seek him in the scriptures
and recognise him in the breaking of the bread,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may bind up the broken-hearted,
restore the sick and raise up all who have fallen,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the light of God's coming may dawn
on all who live in darkness and in the shadow of death,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That with all the saints in light,
we may shine forth as lights of the world,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

So we commend ourselves and all for whom we pray
to the mercy and protection of our heavenly Father:

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May the Spirit so increase our faith and our commitment
that we may be Christ's servants in the world,
until he comes again
and all your purpose, Father, is accomplished,
in your eternal glory. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer by Colin Thompson, (c) 2003, United Reformed Church. Used
with permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com