OREMUS: 14 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 13 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Sunday, December 14, 2008
The Third Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, God, our beginning and our end,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
we thank you for the gift of your presence
through the long night of our travails.
You led you people on their journey into freedom,
a pillar a cloud by day, a pillar of fire at night.
You spoke to them through the Law,
and when, like sheep, they went astray
you sought them and guided them home.
You comforted them in times of suffering
and called them to be a light to the nations.
Now you do a new thing in our midst:
the voice of the Baptist cries out in the wilderness
and the way is prepared for the coming of your Son.

Psalm 22:21-end

I will declare your name to my people;*
 in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
Praise the Lord, you that fear him;*
 stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
   all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
For he does not despise nor abhor
   the poor in their poverty;
   neither does he hide his face from them;*
 but when they cry to him he hears them.
My praise is of him in the great assembly;*
 I will perform my vows
   in the presence of those who worship him.
The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
   and those who seek the Lord shall praise him:*
 'May your heart live for ever!'
All the ends of the earth
   shall remember and turn to the Lord,*
 and all the families of the nations
   shall bow before him.
For kingship belongs to the Lord;*
 he rules over the nations.
To him alone all who sleep in the earth
   bow down in worship;*
 all who go down to the dust fall before him.
My soul shall live for him;
   my descendants shall serve him;*
 they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.
They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn*
 the saving deeds that he has done.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 1:4-10, 17-19]:

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.'
Then I said, 'Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.'
But the Lord said to me,
'Do not say, "I am only a boy";
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,

says the Lord.'
Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,
'Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.' But you, gird up your loins; stand up and tell them everything
that I command you. Do not break down before them, or I will break you before them.
And I for my part have made you today a fortified city, an iron pillar, and a bronze
wall, against the whole land against the kings of Judah, its princes, its priests, and the
people of the land. They will fight against you; but they shall not prevail against you,
for I am with you, says the Lord, to deliver you.

HYMN
Words: Edward Hayes Plumptre, 1889

Music: Thornbury

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t683.html

Thy hand, O God, has guided
thy flock, from age to age;
their wondrous tale is written,
full clear, on every page;
thy people owned thy goodness,
and we their deeds record;
and both of this bear witness;
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Thy heralds brought glad tidings
to greatest as to least;
they bade men rise, and hasten
to share the great King's feast;
and this was all their teaching,
in every deed and word,
to all alike proclaiming
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

When shadows thick were falling,
and all seemed sunk in night,
thou, Lord, didst send thy servants,
thy chosen sons of light.
On them and on thy people
thy plenteous grace was poured,
and this was still their message,
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Through many a day of darkness,
through many a scene of strife,
the faithful few fought bravely,
to guard the nation's life.
Their gospel of redemption,
sin pardoned, man restored,
was all in this enfolded:
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

And we, shall we be faithless?
shall hearts fail, hands hang down?
shall we evade the conflict,
and cast away our crown?
Not so: in God's deep counsels
some better thing is stored;
we will maintain, unflinching,
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Thy mercy will not fail us,
nor leave thy work undone;
with thy right hand to help us,
thy victory shall be won;
and then, by all creation,
thy name shall be adored,
and this shall be their anthem:
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 5:12-23]:

But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters, to respect those who labour among you,
and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; esteem them very highly in love
because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, beloved, to
admonish the idlers, encourage the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of
them. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one
another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all
circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the
Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is
good; abstain from every form of evil.

May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and
body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let us bring our prayers to the Lord who fills the hungry with good things.

We pray for all those facing unemployment as a result of the current economic
situation, especially those in the American auto industry: that they may be helped to
find new work and new hope.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe suffering as a result of the outbreak of cholera in
their country: that they may be given the aid they need, and that their land may know
peace, justice and freedom.

We pray for the people of Greece in the wake of the riots and protests in their country:
that a just and peaceful resolution may be found.

We pray for all those who are chronically sick or disabled: that they may be given the
support they need to live life in its fullness.

We pray for the leaders of the European nations as they meet in Brussels: that they
may be guided by a true concern for the future of the planet we all share, and for the
needs of those who live in poverty.

Almighty Father, we rejoice in your loving mercy and ask you to hear our prayers
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
Father of the poor and lowly,
you have called all people
to share the peace and joy of your kingdom:
Show us your kindness and grant us hearts pure and generous,
that we may prepare the way for the Savior who is coming,
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May the Spirit so increase our faith and our commitment
that we may be Christ's servants in the world,
until he comes again
and all your purpose, Father, is accomplished,
in your eternal glory. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer by Colin Thompson, (c) 2003, United Reformed Church. Used
with permission.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers. The collect is from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.