OREMUS: 13 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 12 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Saturday, December 13, 2008
Lucy, Martyr at Syracuse, 304

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifferenced displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send yoiur Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40. 9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.
Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'
See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.
Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.
God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;
He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 28:1-13]:

Ah, the proud garland of the drunkards of Ephraim,
   and the fading flower of its glorious beauty,
   which is on the head of those bloated with rich food,
   of those overcome with wine!
See, the Lord has one who is mighty and strong;
   like a storm of hail, a destroying tempest,
like a storm of mighty, overflowing waters;
   with his hand he will hurl them down to the earth.
Trampled under foot will be
   the proud garland of the drunkards of Ephraim.
And the fading flower of its glorious beauty,
   which is on the head of those bloated with rich food,
will be like a first-ripe fig before the summer;
   whoever sees it, eats it up
   as soon as it comes to hand.

On that day the Lord of hosts will be a garland of glory,
   and a diadem of beauty, to the remnant of his people;
and a spirit of justice to the one who sits in judgement,
   and strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate.

These also reel with wine
   and stagger with strong drink;
the priest and the prophet reel with strong drink,
   they are confused with wine,
   they stagger with strong drink;
they err in vision,
   they stumble in giving judgement.
All tables are covered with filthy vomit;
   no place is clean.

'Whom will he teach knowledge,
   and to whom will he explain the message?
Those who are weaned from milk,
   those taken from the breast?
For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
   line upon line, line upon line,
   here a little, there a little.'

Truly, with stammering lip
   and with alien tongue
he will speak to this people,
   to whom he has said,
'This is rest;
   give rest to the weary;
and this is repose';
   yet they would not hear.
Therefore the word of the Lord will be to them,
   'Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
   line upon line, line upon line,
   here a little, there a little';
in order that they may go, and fall backwards,
   and be broken, and snared, and taken.

HYMN
Words: Christian Hymnbook, 1865,
as alt. in The Hymnal 1982.
Tune: This Endris Nyght

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i031.html

"I come," the great Redeemer cries,
"To do thy will, O Lord!"
At Jordan's stream, behold!
He seals the sure prophetic word.

"Thus it becomes to fulfill
all righteousness," he said.
Then, faithful to the Lord's commands,
through Jordan's flood was led.

Hark, a glad voice! The Father speaks
from heaven's exalted height:
"This is my Son, my well-beloved
in whom I take delight."

The Savior Jesus, well-beloved!
His Name we will profess,
like him desirous to fulfill
God's will in righteousness.

No more we'll count ourselves our own
but his in bonds of love.
Oh, may such bonds for ever draw
our souls to things above!.

SECOND READING [Mark 4:30-end]:

Jesus said, 'With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we
use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest
of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of
all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in
its shade.'

With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he
did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his
disciples.

On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, 'Let us go across to the other
side.' And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he
was. Other boats were with him. A great gale arose, and the waves beat into the boat,
so that the boat was already being swamped. But he was in the stern, asleep on the
cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, 'Teacher, do you not care that we are
perishing?' He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, 'Peace! Be still!'
Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, 'Why are you
afraid? Have you still no faith?' And they were filled with great awe and said to one
another, 'Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?'

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on
Worship of the Church of Scotland.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.