OREMUS: 12 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 11 17:00:01 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Friday, December 12, 2008

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifferenced displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send yoiur Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2.5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 24:16-end]:

>From the ends of the earth we hear songs of praise,
   of glory to the Righteous One.
But I say, I pine away,
   I pine away. Woe is me!
For the treacherous deal treacherously,
   the treacherous deal very treacherously.

Terror, and the pit, and the snare
   are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth!
Whoever flees at the sound of the terror
   shall fall into the pit,
and whoever climbs out of the pit
   shall be caught in the snare.
For the windows of heaven are opened,
   and the foundations of the earth tremble.
The earth is utterly broken,
   the earth is torn asunder,
   the earth is violently shaken.
The earth staggers like a drunkard,
   it sways like a hut;
its transgression lies heavy upon it,
   and it falls, and will not rise again.

On that day the Lord will punish
   the host of heaven in heaven,
   and on earth the kings of the earth.
They will be gathered together
   like prisoners in a pit;
they will be shut up in a prison,
   and after many days they will be punished.
Then the moon will be abashed,
   and the sun ashamed;
for the Lord of hosts will reign
   on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem,
and before his elders he will manifest his glory.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (1926-), 1981;
  by Hope Publishing Co. Used with permission
Tune: Darwall's 148th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b097.html

Beyond all mortal praise
God's Name be ever blest,
unsearchable his ways,
his glory manifest;
from his high throne
in power and might
by wisdom's light
he rules alone.

Our times are in his hand
to whom all flesh is grass,
while as their Maker planned
the changing seasons pass.
He orders all:
before his eyes
earth's empires rise,
her kingdoms fall.

He gives to humankind,
dividing as he will,
all powers of heart and mind,
of spirit, strength and skill:
Nor dark nor night
but must lay bare
its secretes, where
he dwells in light.

To God the only Lord,
our fathers' God, be praise;
his holy Name adored
through everlasting days.
His mercies trace
in answered prayer,
in love and care,
and gifts of grace.

SECOND READING [Mark 4:21-29]:

Jesus said, 'Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or under the bed,
and not on the lampstand? For there is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed; nor is
anything secret, except to come to light. Let anyone with ears to hear listen!' And he
said to them, 'Pay attention to what you hear; the measure you give will be the
measure you get, and still more will be given you. For to those who have, more will be
given; and from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.'

He also said, 'The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground,
and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does
not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full
grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because
the harvest has come.'

To the poor and exploited;
to lives overshadowed by conflict,
come with your message of justice and peace
Come, reveal yourself within our world, Lord.

To the lonely and unloved;
to lives overshadowed by suffering,
come with your friendship and concern
Come, reveal yourself in our community, Lord.

To both young and old on the journey of faith;
to lives overshadowed by doubt,
come with the gift of your Holy Spirit
Come, reveal yourself to the church, Lord.

To the sinner and the seeker;
to lives overshadowed by emptiness,
come with the offering of salvation
Come, reveal yourself in human lives, Lord.

To the sick and anxious;
to lives overshadowed by sorrow,
come with all-sufficient love
Come, that we may know you with us in our need, Lord.

God our deliverer,
your servant John cried out in the desert;
help us to wait with patience for your salvation,
and trust in the promise
that you hear those
who cry through Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on
Worship of the Church of Scotland.

The intercession is adapted from _Companion to the RCL_, by Christine Odell,
Vol. I, p. 62. The collect is from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting
Church in Australia.