OREMUS: 11 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 10 17:00:00 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifferenced displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send yoiur Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;
In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.
In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 13:1-5, 17-22]:

On a bare hill raise a signal,
   cry aloud to them;
wave the hand for them to enter
   the gates of the nobles.
I myself have commanded my consecrated ones,
   have summoned my warriors, my proudly exulting ones,
   to execute my anger.

Listen, a tumult on the mountains
   as of a great multitude!
Listen, an uproar of kingdoms,
   of nations gathering together!
The Lord of hosts is mustering
   an army for battle.
They come from a distant land,
   from the end of the heavens,
the Lord and the weapons of his indignation,
   to destroy the whole earth.

See, I am stirring up the Medes against them,
   who have no regard for silver
   and do not delight in gold.
Their bows will slaughter the young men;
   they will have no mercy on the fruit of the womb;
   their eyes will not pity children.
And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms,
   the splendour and pride of the Chaldeans,
will be like Sodom and Gomorrah
   when God overthrew them.
It will never be inhabited
   or lived in for all generations;
Arabs will not pitch their tents there,
   shepherds will not make their flocks lie down there.
But wild animals will lie down there,
   and its houses will be full of howling creatures;
there ostriches will live,
   and there goat-demons will dance.
Hyenas will cry in its towers,
   and jackals in the pleasant palaces;
its time is close at hand,
   and its days will not be prolonged.

HYMN
Words: Arthur Campbell Aigner (1841-1919), 1894
Tune: Benson, Purpose

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g179.html

God is working his purpose out
as year succeeds to year:
God is working his purpose out,
and the time is drawing near;
nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

>From utmost east to utmost west,
wherever foot hath trod,
by the mouth of many messengers
goes forth the voice of God;
give ear to me, ye continents,
ye isles, give ear to me,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

What can we do to work God's work,
to prosper and increase
the brotherhood of all mankind--
the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can we do to hasten the time--
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

March we forth in the strength of God,
with the banner of Christ unfurled,
that the light of the glorious gospel of truth
may shine throughout the world:
fight we the fight with sorrow and sin
to set their captives free,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

All we can do is nothing worth
unless God blessed the deed;
vainly we hope for the harvest-tide
till God gives life to the seed;
yet nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

SECOND READING [Mark 4:1-20]:

Again Jesus began to teach beside the lake. Such a very large crowd gathered around
him that he got into a boat on the lake and sat there, while the whole crowd was
beside the lake on the land. He began to teach them many things in parables, and in his
teaching he said to them: 'Listen! A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some
seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Other seed fell on rocky
ground, where it did not have much soil, and it sprang up quickly, since it had no
depth of soil. And when the sun rose, it was scorched; and since it had no root, it
withered away. Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it,
and it yielded no grain. Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing
up and increasing and yielding thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.' And he said, 'Let
anyone with ears to hear listen!'

When he was alone, those who were around him along with the twelve asked him
about the parables. And he said to them, 'To you has been given the secret of the
kingdom of God, but for those outside, everything comes in parables; in order
that
"they may indeed look, but not perceive,
   and may indeed listen, but not understand;
so that they may not turn again and be forgiven." '

And he said to them, 'Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you
understand all the parables? The sower sows the word. These are the ones on the path
where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the
word that is sown in them. And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: when they
hear the word, they immediately receive it with joy. But they have no root, and endure
only for a while; then, when trouble or persecution arises on account of the word,
immediately they fall away. And others are those sown among the thorns: these are the
ones who hear the word, but the cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the
desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it yields nothing. And these
are the ones sown on the good soil: they hear the word and accept it and bear fruit,
thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.'

As we prepare the way of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God
who will baptize us with Spirit and fire.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For all bishops, presbyters, deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the church throughout the world
and the faithful in every place, especially
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering,
for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and those who have died.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Joining our voices with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and with all the saints and angels of God,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord, our God.

God of power and might,
you bring your people out of darkness and slavery
into light and freedom through the waters of salvation.
Receive our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving,
and keep us always in your steadfast love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on
Worship of the Church of Scotland.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater and the first collect is from _Daily
Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with
permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com