OREMUS: 9 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 8 18:20:57 GMT 2008

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifferenced displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send yoiur Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 9:18-10:4]:

For wickedness burned like a fire,
   consuming briers and thorns;
it kindled the thickets of the forest,
   and they swirled upwards in a column of smoke.
Through the wrath of the Lord of hosts
   the land was burned,
and the people became like fuel for the fire;
   no one spared another.
They gorged on the right, but still were hungry,
   and they devoured on the left, but were not satisfied;
they devoured the flesh of their own kindred;
Manasseh devoured Ephraim, and Ephraim Manasseh,
   and together they were against Judah.
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.

Ah, you who make iniquitous decrees,
   who write oppressive statutes,
to turn aside the needy from justice
   and to rob the poor of my people of their right,
that widows may be your spoil,
   and that you may make the orphans your prey!
What will you do on the day of punishment,
   in the calamity that will come from far away?
To whom will you flee for help,
   and where will you leave your wealth,
so as not to crouch among the prisoners
   or fall among the slain?
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

SECOND READING [Mark 3:7-19]:

Jesus departed with his disciples to the lake, and a great multitude from Galilee
followed him; hearing all that he was doing, they came to him in great numbers from
Judea, Jerusalem, Idumea, beyond the Jordan, and the region around Tyre and Sidon.
He told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, so that they
would not crush him; for he had cured many, so that all who had diseases pressed
upon him to touch him. Whenever the unclean spirits saw him, they fell down before
him and shouted, 'You are the Son of God!' But he sternly ordered them not to make
him known.

He went up the mountain and called to him those whom he wanted, and they came to
him. And he appointed twelve, whom he also named apostles, to be with him, and to
be sent out to proclaim the message, and to have authority to cast out demons. So he
appointed the twelve: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter); James son of
Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is,
Sons of Thunder); and Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and
Thomas, and James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean, and
Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

Then he went home.

In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for ...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

God our deliverer,
your servant John cried out in the desert;
help us to wait with patience for your salvation,
and trust in the promise
that you hear those
who cry through Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on
Worship of the Church of Scotland.

The intercession is from _The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The
Central Board of Finance  of the Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with
permission. The collect is from _Uniting in Worship 2</cite, (c) 2005 Uniting
Church in Australia.