OREMUS: 2 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 1 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God, if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
   and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne, O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
   according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence, O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
   but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart, O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent, God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 1:21-28]:

How the faithful city
   has become a whore!
   She that was full of justice,
righteousness lodged in her
   but now murderers!
Your silver has become dross,
   your wine is mixed with water.
Your princes are rebels
   and companions of thieves.
Everyone loves a bribe
   and runs after gifts.
They do not defend the orphan,
   and the widow's cause does not come before them.

Therefore says the Sovereign, the Lord of hosts, the Mighty One of Israel:
Ah, I will pour out my wrath on my enemies,
   and avenge myself on my foes!
I will turn my hand against you;
   I will smelt away your dross as with lye
   and remove all your alloy.
And I will restore your judges as at the first,
   and your counsellors as at the beginning.
Afterwards you shall be called the city of righteousness,
   the faithful city.

Zion shall be redeemed by justice,
   and those in her who repent, by righteousness.
But rebels and sinners shall be destroyed together,
   and those who forsake the Lord shall be consumed.

HYMN
Words:   Marnie Barrell, 1996. Used with permission

Music: Auckland, Michael

Come now where we least expect you,
Christ our hope and longing, come.
Show us where we still reject you
in the world you made your home.
Look around!
Christ is found
far beyond our sacred ground.

Come where we have tried to own you
locked within the distant past,
where your church has scarcely known you,
where the least remain the last.
Enter still
where you will,
come to challenge and fulfil.

Christ-child, come in loving kindness;
come, great Judge whom angels praise!
heal us of our pride and blindness,
purge our hearts and change our ways.
God's own Word,
love outpoured,
come to us, O Christ our Lord!

SECOND READING [Mark 1:14-28]:

Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God,
and saying, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and
believe in the good news.'

As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting
a net into the lake for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I
will make you fish for people.' And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As
he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in
their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father
Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

They went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the synagogue and
taught. They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority,
and not as the scribes. Just then there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean
spirit, and he cried out, 'What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you
come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.' But Jesus rebuked
him, saying, 'Be silent, and come out of him!' And the unclean spirit, throwing him into
convulsions and crying with a loud voice, came out of him. They were all amazed, and
they kept on asking one another, 'What is this? A new teaching with authority! He
commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.' At once his fame began to
spread throughout the surrounding region of Galilee.

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, Coming One,
we cannot know the day of your appearing;
help us to keep awake,
to look patiently for you,
ready to embrace your reign of peace;
in your name we pray. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

The psalms and intercession are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship 2</cite, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in
Australia.