OREMUS: 31 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 30 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, August 31, 2008
The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost

the One whome we seek together,
the Life which is part of us all,
the Truth and the mark of mystery,
the Love and the Joy that makes us whole.
Blessed are you, O God:

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 128

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 5:8-end]:

If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and
right, do not be amazed at the matter; for the high official is watched by a higher, and
there are yet higher ones over them. But all things considered, this is an advantage for
a land: a king for a ploughed field.

The lover of money will not be satisfied with money; nor the lover of wealth, with
gain. This also is vanity.

When goods increase, those who eat them increase; and what gain has their owner but
to see them with his eyes?

Sweet is the sleep of labourers, whether they eat little or much; but the surfeit of the
rich will not let them sleep.

There is a grievous ill that I have seen under the sun: riches were kept by their owners
to their hurt, and those riches were lost in a bad venture; though they are parents of
children, they have nothing in their hands. As they came from their mother's womb, so
they shall go again, naked as they came; they shall take nothing for their toil, which
they may carry away with their hands. This also is a grievous ill: just as they came, so
shall they go; and what gain do they have from toiling for the wind? Besides, all their
days they eat in darkness, in much vexation and sickness and resentment.

This is what I have seen to be good: it is fitting to eat and drink and find enjoyment in
all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of the life God gives us; for
this is our lot. Likewise all to whom God gives wealth and possessions and whom he
enables to enjoy them, and to accept their lot and find enjoyment in their toil this is
the gift of God. For they will scarcely brood over the days of their lives, because God
keeps them occupied with the joy of their hearts.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1874

Music: Mozart, Hollingside

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t007.html

Take my life, and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee;
take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
at the impulse of thy love;
take my feet, and let them be
swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
always, only, for my King;
take my lips, and let them be
filled with messages from thee.

Take my silver and my gold,
not a mite would I withhold;
take my intellect, and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
take my heart, it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store;
take my self, and I will be
ever, only, all for thee.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 6:1-10]:

Let all who are under the yoke of slavery regard their masters as worthy of all honour,
so that the name of God and the teaching may not be blasphemed. Those who have
believing masters must not be disrespectful to them on the ground that they are
members of the church; rather they must serve them all the more, since those who
benefit by their service are believers and beloved.

Teach and urge these duties. Whoever teaches otherwise and does not agree with the
sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that is in accordance with
godliness, is conceited, understanding nothing, and has a morbid craving for
controversy and for disputes about words. From these come envy, dissension, slander,
base suspicions, and wrangling among those who are depraved in mind and bereft of
the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. Of course, there is great gain in
godliness combined with contentment; for we brought nothing into the world, so that
we can take nothing out of it; but if we have food and clothing, we will be content
with these. But those who want to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many
senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love
of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have
wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.

Let us bring our concerns for the world and the Church to the Lord our God, who
promises to respond to all our prayers. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For those who are still recovering from Hurricane Katrina three years later; and for all
those who have suffered personal disasters this week; that the Lord's presence will be
made known to them and guide them through the dark times to the new light of
resurrection. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For all those who spend their lives caring for others and who are worrying about
making ends meet; that they will find strength in the Lord, their model of compassion,
and be assured of the Lord's protecting presence in their lives.  Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all those killed in the Russia-Georgia conflict; that they will now be at rest in the
heavenly kingdom, and that those working to bring closure to this situation will do so
in memory of those who gave their lives.  Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For those continuing to bring about a peaceful resolution to this unsettled situation;
that they will be granted the gifts of wisdom and understanding, available to all those
who follow the promptings of the Spirit.  Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For those involved in gun crime, and those who have been victims of it, and all those
who seek to dominate others through use of force; that through the work of the
Church lives will be transformed and communities renewed.  Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the people of the United States as they enter the final phase of the presidential
election season, that a spirit of respect may prevail, that justice and freedom may be
available to all.  Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We make these prayers, as always, in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Amen.

Almighty God,
you alone can order unruly wills and affections:
Help us to love what you command,
and desire what you promise;
that in the midst of this changing world,
our hearts may be fixed where true joys are found;
one God, forever and ever.  Amen.

Faithful God, hope of the oppressed, source of freedom:
make us strong to witness to your liberating power,
in generosity of life and in humility of spirit,
that all the world may delight in your goodness.  Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers. Stephen Benner added
two petitions this week.

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.