OREMUS: 30 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 29 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, August 30, 2008

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit comes
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3.1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
but they are at peace.
For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy.
Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.
In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples
and God will reign over them for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 34:1-8]:

The senseless have vain and false hopes,
   and dreams give wings to fools.
As one who catches at a shadow and pursues the wind,
   so is anyone who believes in dreams.
What is seen in dreams is but a reflection,
   the likeness of a face looking at itself.
>From an unclean thing what can be clean?
   And from something false what can be true?
Divinations and omens and dreams are unreal,
   and like a woman in labour, the mind has fantasies.
Unless they are sent by intervention from the Most High,
   pay no attention to them.
For dreams have deceived many,
   and those who put their hope in them have perished.
Without such deceptions the law will be fulfilled,
   and wisdom is complete in the mouth of the faithful.

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1822

Music: Melcombe, Kedron

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n013.html

New every morning is the love
our wakening and uprising prove;
through sleep and darkness safely brought,
restored to life and power and thought.

New mercies, each returning day,
hover around us while we pray;
new perils past, new sins forgiven,
new thoughts of God, new hopes of heaven.

If on our daily course our mind
be set to hallow all we find,
new treasures still, of countless price,
God will provide for sacrifice.

Old friends, old scenes, will lovelier be,
as more of heaven in each we see;
some softening gleam of love and prayer
shall dawn on every cross and care.

The trivial round, the common task,
will furnish all we ought to ask:
room to deny ourselves; a road
to bring us daily nearer God.

Only, O Lord, in thy dear love,
fit us for perfect rest above;
and help us, this and every day,
to live more nearly as we pray.

SECOND READING [Matthew 6:19-end]:

Jesus said, 'Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust
consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in
heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and
steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

'The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be
full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If
then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

'No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other,
or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will
drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the
body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor
gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value
than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And
why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they
neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like
one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and
tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you you of little
faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, "What will we eat?" or "What will we drink?"
or "What will we wear?" For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and
indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for
the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as
well.

'So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.
Today's trouble is enough for today.'

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
light of the earth and health of the nations:
you lead us in the way of justice and mercy;

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from hymns by Ian Fraser and
John Bell. The closing prayer is based on a verse from a hymn by Katie Wilkinson.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com