OREMUS: 27 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 26 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 27, 2008

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit comes
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16.13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.
May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.
You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.
Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.
But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.
No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 24:1-9,18-22]:

Wisdom praises herself,
   and tells of her glory in the midst of her people.
In the assembly of the Most High she opens her mouth,
   and in the presence of his hosts she tells of her glory:
'I came forth from the mouth of the Most High,
   and covered the earth like a mist.
I dwelt in the highest heavens,
   and my throne was in a pillar of cloud.
Alone I compassed the vault of heaven
   and traversed the depths of the abyss.
Over waves of the sea, over all the earth,
   and over every people and nation I have held sway.
Among all these I sought a resting-place;
   in whose territory should I abide?

'Then the Creator of all things gave me a command,
   and my Creator chose the place for my tent.
He said, "Make your dwelling in Jacob,
   and in Israel receive your inheritance."
Before the ages, in the beginning, he created me,
   and for all the ages I shall not cease to be.
'Come to me, you who desire me,
   and eat your fill of my fruits.
For the memory of me is sweeter than honey,
   and the possession of me sweeter than the honeycomb.
Those who eat of me will hunger for more,
   and those who drink of me will thirst for more.
Whoever obeys me will not be put to shame,
   and those who work with me will not sin.'

HYMN
Words: Words: Bernard of Clairvaux, twelfth century;
trans. John Mason Neale and Hymns Ancient & Modern
Music: Jesu, dulcis memoria

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j188.html

Jesus! the very thought is sweet;
in that dear name all heart-joys meet;
but O, than honey sweeter far
the glimpses of his presence are.

No word is sung more sweet than this,
no sound is heard more full of bliss,
no thought brings sweeter comfort nigh,
than Jesus, Son of God most high.

Jesus, the hope of souls forlorn,
how good to them for sin that mourn!
To them that seek the, O how kind!
But what art thou to them that find?

No tongue of mortal can express,
no pen can write, the blessedness:
he only who hath proved it knows
what bliss from love of Jesus flows.

O Jesus, King of wondrous might!
O Victor, glorious from the fight!
Sweetness that may not be expressed,
and altogether loveliest!

Abide with us, O Lord, today,
fulfill us with thy grace, we pray;
and with thine own true sweetness feed
our souls from sin and darkness freed.

SECOND READING [Matthew 5:27-37]:

Jesus said,  'You have heard that it was said, "You shall not commit adultery." But I
say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed
adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw
it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to
be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it
away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go
into hell.
'It was also said, "Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce."
But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of
unchastity, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman
commits adultery.
'Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, "You shall not swear
falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord." But I say to you, Do not
swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his
footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by
your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let your word be "Yes, Yes"
or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.'

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from hymns by Ian Fraser and
John Bell. The closing prayer is based on a verse from a hymn by Katie Wilkinson.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com