OREMUS: 26 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 25 19:51:31 GMT 2008

OREMUS for , 2008

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit came
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

Psalm 36:5-end [CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 20:9-20]:

There may be good fortune for a person in adversity,
   but a windfall may result in a loss.
There is the gift that profits you nothing,
   and the gift to be paid back double.
There are losses for the sake of glory,
   and there are some who have raised their heads from humble circumstances.
Some buy much for little,
   but pay for it seven times over.
The wise make themselves beloved by only few words,
   but the courtesies of fools are wasted.
A fool's gift will profit you nothing,
   for he looks for recompense sevenfold.
He gives little and upbraids much;
   he opens his mouth like a town crier.
Today he lends and tomorrow he asks for it back;
   such a one is hateful to God and humans.
The fool says, 'I have no friends,
   and I get no thanks for my good deeds.
   Those who eat my bread are evil-tongued.'
How many will ridicule him, and how often!

A slip on the pavement is better than a slip of the tongue;
   the downfall of the wicked will occur just as speedily.
A coarse person is like an inappropriate story
   continually on the lips of the ignorant.
A proverb from a fool's lips will be rejected,
   for he does not tell it at the proper time.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton (1826-1893), 1870
Tune: St. Peter, St. Stephen, St. Flavian

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b085.html

Behold us, Lord, a little space
from daily tasks set free,
and met within thy holy place
to rest awhile with thee.

Around us rolls the ceaseless tide
of business, toil, and care;
and scarcely can we turn aside
for one brief hour of prayer.

Yet these are not the only walls
wherein thou may'st be sought:
on homeliest work thy blessing falls,
in truth and patience wrought.

Thine is the loom, the forge, the mart,
the wealth of land and sea;
the worlds of science and of art,
revealed and ruled by thee.

Then let us prove our heavenly birth
in all we do and know;
and claim the kingdom of the earth
for thee, and not thy foe.

Work shall be prayer, if all be wrought
as thou wouldst have it done;
and prayer, by thee inspired and taught,
itself with work be one.

SECOND READING [Matthew 5:17-26]:

Jesus said, 'Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have
come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away,
not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is
accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments,
and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but
whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you
will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

'You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, "You shall not murder";
and "whoever murders shall be liable to judgement." But I say to you that if you are
angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a
brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, "You fool", you will
be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you
remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there
before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and
offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to
court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the
guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until
you have paid the last penny.'

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...

Blessed are you, God of all the earth:
you have called us out of every people and nation
to be a royal priesthood and citizens of your holy city.
May our words of praise call the world to turn
to the joy of fellowship with you;

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from hymns by Ian Fraser and
John Bell. The closing prayer is based on a verse from a hymn by Katie Wilkinson.