OREMUS: 25 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Aug 24 20:57:04 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, August 25, 2008

like fireworks in the night
the Holy Spirit came
to lift our spirits, to inspire fresh daring,
that our lives might be spent in honor
of our Savior, God's only Son.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of Solomon (cf Song of Solomon 8.6,7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.
If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 19:20-end]:

The whole of wisdom is fear of the Lord,
   and in all wisdom there is the fulfilment of the law.
The knowledge of wickedness is not wisdom,
   nor is there prudence in the counsel of sinners.
There is a cleverness that is detestable,
   and there is a fool who merely lacks wisdom.
Better are the God-fearing who lack understanding
   than the highly intelligent who transgress the law.
There is a cleverness that is exact but unjust,
   and there are people who abuse favours to gain a verdict.
There is the villain bowed down in mourning,
but inwardly he is full of deceit.
He hides his face and pretends not to hear,
   but when no one notices, he will take advantage of you.
Even if lack of strength keeps him from sinning,
   he will nevertheless do evil when he finds the opportunity.
A person is known by his appearance,
   and a sensible person is known when first met face to face.
A person's attire and hearty laughter,
   and the way he walks, show what he is.

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1 & 3, John Keble (1792-1866), 1818;
stanzas 2 & 4, William John Hall (1793-1861)
Tune: Franconia

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b144.html

Blest are the pure in heart,
for they shall see our God;
the secret of the Lord is theirs,
their soul is Christ's abode.

The Lord, who left the heavens
our life and peace to bring,
to dwell in lowliness with men,
their Pattern and their King;

still to the lowly soul
he doth himself impart
and for his dwelling and his throne
chooseth the pure in heart.

Lord, we thy presence seek;
may ours this blessing be;
give us a pure and lowly heart,
a temple meet for thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 5:1-16]:

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his
disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

'Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

'Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

'Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be
filled.

'Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

'Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

'Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

'Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the
kingdom of heaven.

'Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil
against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in
heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

'You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be
restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under
foot.

'You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after
lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light
to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may
see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.'

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe:
In your loving kindness you watch over your chosen people.
Make us witnesses to your truth
and instruments of your peace
that all may know you as the God of justice,
and praise your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

May the word of God dwell richly in our heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see the triumph through Jesus' power and love.
Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from hymns by Ian Fraser and
John Bell. The closing prayer is based on a verse from a hymn by Katie Wilkinson.