OREMUS: 23 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 22 17:30:04 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, August 23, 2008

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1,2,3b-5,7,8)

My heart exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.
There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.
For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.
Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.
The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.
Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.
You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.
You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.
For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 19:4-18]:

One who trusts others too quickly has a shallow mind,
   and one who sins does wrong to himself.
One who rejoices in wickedness will be condemned,
   but one who hates gossip has less evil.
Never repeat a conversation,
   and you will lose nothing at all.
With friend or foe do not report it,
   and unless it would be a sin for you, do not reveal it;
for someone may have heard you and watched you,
   and in time will hate you.
Have you heard something? Let it die with you.
   Be brave, it will not make you burst!
Having heard something, the fool suffers birth-pangs
   like a woman in labour with a child.
Like an arrow stuck in a person's thigh,
   so is gossip inside a fool.

Question a friend; perhaps he did not do it;
   or if he did, so that he may not do it again.
Question a neighbour; perhaps he did not say it;
   or if he said it, so that he may not repeat it.
Question a friend, for often it is slander;
   so do not believe everything you hear.
A person may make a slip without intending it.
   Who has not sinned with his tongue?
Question your neighbour before you threaten him;
   and let the law of the Most High take its course.

HYMN
Words: Lionel B.C.L. Muirhead, 1899
Tune: Capel

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t090.html

The Church of God a kingdom is,
where Christ in power doth reign,
where spirits yearn till seen in bliss
their Lord shall come again.

Glad companies of saints possess
this Church below, above;
and God's perpetual calm doth bless
their paradise of love.

An altar stands within the shrine
whereon, once sacrificed,
is set, immaculate, divine,
the Lamb of God, the Christ.

There rich and poor, from countless lands,
praise Christ on mystic rood;
there nations reach forth holy hands
to take God's holy food.

There pure life-giving streams o'erflow
the sower's garden ground;
and faith and hope fair blossoms show,
and fruits of love abound.

O King, O Christ, this endless grace
to us and all men bring,
to see the vision of thy face
in joy, O Christ, our King.

SECOND READING [Matthew 4:12-end]:

Now when Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. He left
Nazareth and made his home in Capernaum by the lake, in the territory of Zebulun and
Naphtali, so that what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah might be
fulfilled:
'Land of Zebulun, land of Naphtali,
   on the road by the sea, across the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles
the people who sat in darkness
   have seen a great light,
and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death
   light has dawned.'
>From that time Jesus began to proclaim, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come
near.'

As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter,
and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the lake for they were fishermen. And he
said to them, 'Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.' Immediately they left
their nets and followed him. As he went from there, he saw two other brothers, James
son of Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee, mending
their nets, and he called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and
followed him.

Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good
news of the kingdom and curing every disease and every sickness among the people.
So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those
who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and
paralytics, and he cured them. And great crowds followed him from Galilee, the
Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and from beyond the Jordan.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com