OREMUS: 22 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Aug 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, August 22, 2008

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?*
 and are so far from my cry
   and from the words of my distress?
O my God, I cry in the daytime,
   but you do not answer;*
 by night as well, but I find no rest.
Yet you are the Holy One,*
 enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
Our forebears put their trust in you;*
 they trusted and you delivered them.
They cried out to you and were delivered;*
 they trusted in you and were not put to shame.
But as for me, I am a worm and no man,*
 scorned by all and despised by the people.
All who see me laugh me to scorn;*
 they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying,
'He trusted in the Lord; let him deliver him;*
 let him rescue him, if he delights in him.'
Yet you are he who took me out of the womb,*
 and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.
I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born;*
 you were my God
   when I was still in my mother's womb.
Be not far from me, for trouble is near,*
 and there is none to help.
Many young bulls encircle me;*
 strong bulls of Bashan surround me.
They open wide their jaws at me,*
 like a ravening and a roaring lion.
I am poured out like water;
   all my bones are out of joint;*
 my heart within my breast is melting wax.
My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd;
   my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;*
 and you have laid me in the dust of the grave.
Packs of dogs close me in,
   and gangs of evildoers circle around me;*
 they pierce my hands and my feet;
   I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;*
 they divide my garments among them;
   they cast lots for my clothing.
Be not far away, O Lord;*
 you are my strength; hasten to help me.
Save me from the sword,*
 my life from the power of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth,*
 my wretched body from the horns of wild bulls.
I will declare your name to my people;*
 in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
Praise the Lord, you that fear him;*
 stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
   all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
For he does not despise nor abhor
   the poor in their poverty;
   neither does he hide his face from them;*
 but when they cry to him he hears them.
My praise is of him in the great assembly;*
 I will perform my vows
   in the presence of those who worship him.
The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
   and those who seek the Lord shall praise him:*
 'May your heart live for ever!'
All the ends of the earth
   shall remember and turn to the Lord,*
 and all the families of the nations
   shall bow before him.
For kingship belongs to the Lord;*
 he rules over the nations.
To him alone all who sleep in the earth
   bow down in worship;*
 all who go down to the dust fall before him.
My soul shall live for him;
   my descendants shall serve him;*
 they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.
They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn*
 the saving deeds that he has done.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,c,6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.
By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;
To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.
Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,
For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.
Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.
With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.
She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.
That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 16:17-end]:

Do not say, 'I am hidden from the Lord,
   and who from on high has me in mind?
Among so many people I am unknown,
   for what am I in a boundless creation?
Lo, heaven and the highest heaven,
   the abyss and the earth, tremble at his visitation!
The very mountains and the foundations of the earth
   quiver and quake when he looks upon them.
But no human mind can grasp this,
   and who can comprehend his ways?
Like a tempest that no one can see,
   so most of his works are concealed.
Who is to announce his acts of justice?
   Or who can await them? For his decree is far off.'
Such are the thoughts of one devoid of understanding;
   a senseless and misguided person thinks foolishly.

Listen to me, my child, and acquire knowledge,
   and pay close attention to my words.
I will impart discipline precisely
   and declare knowledge accurately.

When the Lord created his works from the beginning,
   and, in making them, determined their boundaries,
he arranged his works in an eternal order,
   and their dominion for all generations.
They neither hunger nor grow weary,
   and they do not abandon their tasks.
They do not crowd one another,
   and they never disobey his word.
Then the Lord looked upon the earth,
   and filled it with his good things.
With all kinds of living beings he covered its surface,
   and into it they must return.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1872
Music: Herr Jesu Christ

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a176.html

All things are thine; no gift have we,
Lord of all gifts, to offer thee:
and hence with grateful hearts today
thine own before thy feet we lay.

Thy will was in the builders' thought;
thy hand unseen amidst us wrought;
through mortal motive, scheme and plan,
thy wise eternal purpose ran.

In weakness and in want we call
on thee for whom the heavens are small;
thy glory is thy children's good,
thy joy thy tender Fatherhood.

O Father, deign these walls to bless;
fill with thy love their emptiness;
and let their door a gateway be
to lead us from ourselves to thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 4:1-11]:

Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He fasted
for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished. The tempter came and
said to him, 'If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of
bread.' But he answered, 'It is written,
"One does not live by bread alone,
   but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." '

Then the devil took him to the holy city and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple,
saying to him, 'If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written,
"He will command his angels concerning you",
   and "On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you will not dash your foot against a stone." '
Jesus said to him, 'Again it is written, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test."
'

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of
the world and their splendour; and he said to him, 'All these I will give you, if you will
fall down and worship me.' Jesus said to him, 'Away with you, Satan! for it is
written,
"Worship the Lord your God,
   and serve only him." '
Then the devil left him, and suddenly angels came and waited on him.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy catholic Church,
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
Father, into your hands we commend them.

We praise you for all your saints who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Merciful God,
your Son came to free us from sin,
overcoming death and rising in triumph:
may we, who are redeemed by his blood
be made ready to meet you face to face;
this we ask for Jesus' sake. Amen.

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002. Used with permission.