OREMUS: 21 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 20 17:00:23 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 15:11-end]:

Do not say, 'It was the Lord's doing that I fell away';
   for he does not do what he hates.
Do not say, 'It was he who led me astray';
   for he has no need of the sinful.
The Lord hates all abominations;
   such things are not loved by those who fear him.
It was he who created humankind in the beginning,
   and he left them in the power of their own free choice.
If you choose, you can keep the commandments,
   and to act faithfully is a matter of your own choice.
He has placed before you fire and water;
   stretch out your hand for whichever you choose.
Before each person are life and death,
   and whichever one chooses will be given.
For great is the wisdom of the Lord;
   he is mighty in power and sees everything;
his eyes are on those who fear him,
   and he knows every human action.
He has not commanded anyone to be wicked,
   and he has not given anyone permission to sin.

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart, 1765;
as altered in Songs of Praise, 1925
Music: Magdalen College

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w144.html

We sing of God, the mighty source
of all things; the stupendous force
on which all strength depends;
from whose right arm, beneath whose eyes,
all period, power and enterprise
commences, reigns and ends.

Tell them I AM, the Lord God said,
to Moses while on earth in dread
and smitten to the heart,
at once, above, beneath, around,
all nature without voice or sound
replied, O Lord, thou art.

Glorious the sun in mid career;
glorious the assembled fires appear;
glorious the comet's train:
glorious the trumpet and alarm;
glorious the almighty stretched-out arm;
glorious the enraptured main:

Glorious, most glorious, is the crown
of him that brought salvation down
by meekness, called man's son;
seers that stupendous truth believed,
and now the matchless deeds achieved,
determined, dared and done.

SECOND READING [Matthew 3]:

In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea, proclaiming,
'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.' This is the one of whom the
prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
'The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
"Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight." '
Now John wore clothing of camel's hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his
food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of Jerusalem and all Judea were
going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him
in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them,
'You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit
worthy of repentance. Do not presume to say to yourselves, "We have Abraham as our
ancestor"; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to
Abraham. Even now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that
does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

'I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is
coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the
Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing-fork is in his hand, and he will clear his
threshing-floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn
with unquenchable fire.'

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John
would have prevented him, saying, 'I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to
me?' But Jesus answered him, 'Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to
fulfil all righteousness.' Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just
as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw
the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from
heaven said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.
Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.