OREMUS: 19 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 18 20:37:18 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

How long, O Lord;
   will you forget me for ever?*
 how long will you hide your face from me?
How long shall I have perplexity in my mind,
   and grief in my heart, day after day?*
 how long shall my enemy triumph over me?
Look upon me and answer me, O Lord my God;*
 give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;
Lest my enemy say, 'I have prevailed over him',*
 and my foes rejoice that I have fallen.
But I put my trust in your mercy;*
 my heart is joyful because of your saving help.
I will sing to the Lord,
   for he has dealt with me richly;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 14

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'*
 All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
   there is none who does any good.
The Lord looks down from heaven upon us all,*
 to see if there is any who is wise,
   if there is one who seeks after God.
Everyone has proved faithless;
   all alike have turned bad;*
 there is none who does good; no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, all those evildoers*
 who eat up my people like bread
   and do not call upon the Lord?
See how they tremble with fear,*
 because God is in the company of the righteous.
Their aim is to confound the plans of the afflicted,*
 but the Lord is their refuge.
O that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion!*
 when the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
   Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

A Song of the Lamb (Revelation 19.1b,2a,5b,6b,7,9b)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, .
whose judgements are true and just.
Praise our God, all you his servants, .
all who fear him, both small and great.
The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns: .
let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.
For the marriage of the Lamb has come .
and his bride has made herself ready.
Blessed are those who are invited .
to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 4:1-18]:

My child, do not cheat the poor of their living,
   and do not keep needy eyes waiting.
Do not grieve the hungry,
   or anger one in need.
Do not add to the troubles of the desperate,
   or delay giving to the needy.
Do not reject a suppliant in distress,
   or turn your face away from the poor.
Do not avert your eye from the needy,
   and give no one reason to curse you;
for if in bitterness of soul some should curse you,
   their Creator will hear their prayer.

Endear yourself to the congregation;
   bow your head low to the great.
Give a hearing to the poor,
   and return their greeting politely.
Rescue the oppressed from the oppressor;
   and do not be hesitant in giving a verdict.
Be a father to orphans,
   and be like a husband to their mother;
you will then be like a son of the Most High,
   and he will love you more than does your mother.

Wisdom teaches her children
   and gives help to those who seek her.
Whoever loves her loves life,
   and those who seek her from early morning are filled with joy.
Whoever holds her fast inherits glory,
   and the Lord blesses the place she enters.
Those who serve her minister to the Holy One;
   the Lord loves those who love her.
Those who obey her will judge the nations,
   and all who listen to her will live secure.
If they remain faithful, they will inherit her;
   their descendants will also obtain her.
For at first she will walk with them on tortuous paths;
   she will bring fear and dread upon them,
and will torment them by her discipline
   until she trusts them,
and she will test them with her ordinances.
Then she will come straight back to them again and gladden them,
   and will reveal her secrets to them.

HYMN
Words: Samuel Longfellow, 1864

Music: Lew Trenchard

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h329.html

Holy Spirit, Truth divine,
dawn upon this soul of mine;
Breath of God and inward Light
wake my spirit, clear my sight.

Holy Spirit, Love divine,
glow within this heart of mine;
kindle every high desire;
perish self in thy pure fire.

Holy Spirit, Power divine
fill and nerve this will of mine;
by thee may I strongly live,
bravely bear and nobly strive.

Holy Spirit, Right divine,
King within my conscience reign;
be my Lord, and I shall be
firmly bound, forever free.

Holy Spirit, Peace divine,
still this restless heart of mine;
speak to calm this tossing sea,
stayed in thy tranquility.

Holy Spirit, Joy divine,
gladden thou this heart of mine;
in the desert ways I sing,
"Spring, O Well, forever spring."

SECOND READING [Matthew 2:1-12]:

In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men
from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, 'Where is the child who has been born king
of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him
homage.' When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with
him; and calling together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of
them where the Messiah was to be born. They told him, 'In Bethlehem of Judea; for
so it has been written by the prophet:
"And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
   are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
   who is to shepherd my people Israel." '

Then Herod secretly called for the wise men and learned from them the exact time
when the star had appeared. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, 'Go and search
diligently for the child; and when you have found him, bring me word so that I may
also go and pay him homage.' When they had heard the king, they set out; and there,
ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the
place where the child was. When they saw that the star had stopped, they were
overwhelmed with joy. On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his
mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their
treasure-chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having
been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they left for their own country by
another road.

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

Loving and merciful God,
hear the prayers of those who cry to you,
and shine with the light of your presence
on those who live in the shadow of death.
May we rejoice in your saving help
and sing you songs of praise
in the Name of our risen Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.