OREMUS: 17 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 16 17:00:41 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, August 17, 2008
The Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

In the Lord have I taken refuge;*
 how then can you say to me,
   'Fly away like a bird to the hilltop;
'For see how the wicked bend the bow
   and fit their arrows to the string,*
 to shoot from ambush at the true of heart.
'When the foundations are being destroyed,*
 what can the righteous do?'
The Lord is in his holy temple;*
 the Lord's throne is in heaven.
His eyes behold the inhabited world;*
 his piercing eye weighs our worth.
The Lord weighs the righteous as well as the wicked,*
 but those who delight in violence he abhors.
Upon the wicked he shall rain coals of fire
   and burning sulphur;*
 a scorching wind shall be their lot.
For the Lord is righteous;
   he delights in righteous deeds;*
 and the just shall see his face.

Psalm 12

Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left;*
 the faithful have vanished from among us.
Everyone speaks falsely with their neighbour;*
 with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
O that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues,*
 and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
Those who say, 'With our tongue will we prevail;*
 our lips are our own; who is lord over us?'
'Because the needy are oppressed,
   and the poor cry out in misery,*
 I will rise up', says the Lord,
   'and give them the help they long for.'
The words of the Lord are pure words,*
 like silver refined from ore
   and purified seven times in the fire.
O Lord, watch over us*
 and save us from this generation for ever.
The wicked prowl on every side,*
 and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

Bless the Lord (The Song of the Three 29-34)

Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 15:7-15]:

If there is among you anyone in need, a member of your community in any of your
towns within the land that the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or
tight-fisted towards your needy neighbour. You should rather open your hand,
willingly lending enough to meet the need, whatever it may be. Be careful that you do
not entertain a mean thought, thinking, 'The seventh year, the year of remission, is
near', and therefore view your needy neighbour with hostility and give nothing; your
neighbour might cry to the Lord against you, and you would incur guilt. Give liberally
and be ungrudging when you do so, for on this account the Lord your God will bless
you in all your work and in all that you undertake. Since there will never cease to be
some in need on the earth, I therefore command you, 'Open your hand to the poor and
needy neighbour in your land.'
If a member of your community, whether a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold
to you and works for you for six years, in the seventh year you shall set that person
free. And when you send a male slave out from you a free person, you shall not send
him out empty-handed. Provide liberally out of your flock, your threshing-floor, and
your wine press, thus giving to him some of the bounty with which the Lord your God
has blessed you. Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord
your God redeemed you; for this reason I lay this command upon you today.

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren   1993 by Hope Publishing Co. Used with permission
Tune: Megerran

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a039.html

A prophet-woman broke a jar
by Love's divine appointing.
With rare perfume she filled the room,
presiding and anointing.
A prophet-woman broke a jar,
the sneers of scorn defying.
With rare perfume she filled the room,
preparing Christ for dying.

A faithful woman left a tomb
by Love's divine commission.
She saw, she heard, she preached the word,
arising from submission.
A faithful woman left a tomb
with resurrection gospel.
She saw, she heard, she preached the word,
apostle to apostles.

Though woman-wisdom, woman-truth
for centuries were hidden,
unsung, unwritten, and unheard,
derided and forbidden,
the Spirit's breath, the Spirit's fire,
on free and slave, descending,
can tumble our diving walls,
our shame and sadness mending.

The Spirit knows, the Spirit calls,
by Love's divine ordaining,
the friends we need, to serve and lead,
their powers and gifts unchaining.
The Spirit knows, the Spirit calls
from women, men, and children
the friends we need, to serve and lead.
Rejoice and make them welcome!

SECOND READING [Matthew 26:6-13]:

Now while Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came to
him with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment, and she poured it on his head as he
sat at the table. But when the disciples saw it, they were angry and said, 'Why this
waste? For this ointment could have been sold for a large sum, and the money given
to the poor.' But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, 'Why do you trouble the woman?
She has performed a good service for me. For you always have the poor with you, but
you will not always have me. By pouring this ointment on my body she has prepared
me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this good news is proclaimed in the whole
world, what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.'

Let us pray to the Lord, the one from whom all good things come.
For a successful resolution to the conflict between Georgia and Russia; in a world
plagued with arguments that cost lives, let us pray that diplomatic efforts will bring a
swift end to violence, and that the current US intervention will help broker a genuine
and a lasting ceasefire. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For Xi Zhou and her boyfriend Zhen Xing Yang, who were murdered earlier this
week in a flat in Newcastle; that after such an horrific death on earth, they may find
eternal solace and peace in a new and everlasting life in the heavenly kingdom. Lord,
in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For the families and friends of all those who have been taken from us in an untimely
manner; that they will find comfort in Christ, who is full of compassion. Lord, in your
mercy, hear our prayer.

For the continuing political and social unrest in Zimbabwe; let us continue to pray for
an end to the suffering and oppression of the people, and for all who work tirelessly to
bring this about. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For all who have received exam results this week; whether they continue on to further
education, or enter the world of work, let us pray that they will know the presence of
God with them as they start a new chapter in life. Lord, in your mercy, hear
our prayer.

We make these prayers, as always, in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Saviour.
Amen.

Almighty God,
you have given your only Son
to be for us a sacrifice for sin,
and also an example of godly life:
Give us grace to receive thankfully
the fruits of this redeeming work,
and to follow daily in the blessed steps of his most holy life;
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.