OREMUS: 16 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 15 17:00:04 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, August 16, 2008

Blessed are you, O Lord,
from the rising of the sun to its going down,
your Name is praised,
for you have raised us from the dust and set before us
the vision of your glory.
As you bestowed upon us the dignity of a royal priesthood,
you lift up our hearts to celebrate your praise.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Lord's Gracious Deeds (Isaiah 63.1-3a,7-9)

Who is this that comes from Edom,
coming from Bozrah, his garments stained crimson?
Who is this in glorious apparel,
marching in the greatness of his strength?
'It is I, who announce that right has won the day,
it is I,' says the Lord, 'for I am mighty to save.'
Why are your robes all red, O Lord,
and your garments like theirs who tread the winepress?
'I have trodden the winepress alone,
and from the peoples no one was with me.'
I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord,
the praises of the Most High;
All that God has done for us in his mercy,
by his many acts of love.
For God said, 'Surely, they are my people,
my children who will not deal falsely,'
and he became their Saviour in all their distress.
So God redeemed them by his love and pity;
he lifted them up and carried them
through all the days of old.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 2]:

My child, when you come to serve the Lord,
   prepare yourself for testing.
Set your heart right and be steadfast,
   and do not be impetuous in time of calamity.
Cling to him and do not depart,
   so that your last days may be prosperous.
Accept whatever befalls you,
   and in times of humiliation be patient.
For gold is tested in the fire,
   and those found acceptable, in the furnace of humiliation.
Trust in him, and he will help you;
   make your ways straight, and hope in him.

You who fear the Lord, wait for his mercy;
   do not stray, or else you may fall.
You who fear the Lord, trust in him,
   and your reward will not be lost.
You who fear the Lord, hope for good things,
   for lasting joy and mercy.
Consider the generations of old and see:
   has anyone trusted in the Lord and been disappointed?
Or has anyone persevered in the fear of the Lord and been forsaken?
   Or has anyone called upon him and been neglected?
For the Lord is compassionate and merciful;
   he forgives sins and saves in time of distress.

Woe to timid hearts and to slack hands,
   and to the sinner who walks a double path!
Woe to the faint-hearted who have no trust!
   Therefore they will have no shelter.
Woe to you who have lost your nerve!
   What will you do when the Lord's reckoning comes?

Those who fear the Lord do not disobey his words,
   and those who love him keep his ways.
Those who fear the Lord seek to please him,
   and those who love him are filled with his law.
Those who fear the Lord prepare their hearts,
   and humble themselves before him.
Let us fall into the hands of the Lord,
   but not into the hands of mortals;
for equal to his majesty is his mercy,
   and equal to his name are his works.

HYMN
Words: John Newton, 1780
Tune: Song 13

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c251.html

Come, my soul, thy suit prepare:
Jesus loves to answer prayer;
he himself has bid thee pray,
therefore will not say thee nay.

Thou art coming to a King,
large petitions with thee bring;
for his grace and power are such,
none can ever ask too much.

With my burden I begin:
Lord, remove this load of sin;
let thy blood, for sinners spilt,
set my conscience free from guilt.

Lord, I come to thee for rest,
take possession of my breast;
there thy blood bought right maintain,
and without a rival reign.

Show me what I have to do,
every hour my strength renew:
let me live a life of faith,
let me die thy people's death.

While I am a pilgrim here,
let thy love my spirit cheer;
as my Guide, my Guard, my Friend,
lead me to my journey's end.

SECOND READING [Romans 15:17-end]:

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to boast of my work for God. For I will not
venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to win
obedience from the Gentiles, by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders,
by the power of the Spirit of God, so that from Jerusalem and as far around as
Illyricum I have fully proclaimed the good news of Christ. Thus I make it my
ambition to proclaim the good news, not where Christ has already been named, so that
I do not build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written,
'Those who have never been told of him shall see,
   and those who have never heard of him shall understand.'

This is the reason that I have so often been hindered from coming to you. But now,
with no further place for me in these regions, I desire, as I have for many years, to
come to you when I go to Spain. For I do hope to see you on my journey and to be
sent on by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a little while. At present,
however, I am going to Jerusalem in a ministry to the saints; for Macedonia and
Achaia have been pleased to share their resources with the poor among the saints at
Jerusalem. They were pleased to do this, and indeed they owe it to them; for if the
Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of
service to them in material things. So, when I have completed this, and have delivered
to them what has been collected, I will set out by way of you to Spain; and I know that
when I come to you, I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ.

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the
Spirit, to join me in earnest prayer to God on my behalf, that I may be rescued from
the unbelievers in Judea, and that my ministry to Jerusalem may be acceptable to the
saints, so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your
company. The God of peace be with all of you. Amen.

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

Calm our fears and strengthen our faith
that we may never doubt the presence of Jesus Christ our Lord,
but proclaim him as your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever.
Amen.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The opening
prayer uses phrases from _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.