OREMUS: 13 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 12 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, Teacher of the Faith, 1667

Blessed are you, O Lord,
from the rising of the sun to its going down,
your Name is praised,
for you have raised us from the dust and set before us
the vision of your glory.
As you bestowed upon us the dignity of a royal priesthood,
you lift up our hearts to celebrate your praise.

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;
Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,
As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,
Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.
The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;
Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.
You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Zephaniah 3:9-end]:

At that time I will change the speech of the peoples
   to a pure speech,
that all of them may call on the name of the Lord
   and serve him with one accord.
>From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia
   my suppliants, my scattered ones,
   shall bring my offering.

On that day you shall not be put to shame
   because of all the deeds by which you have rebelled against me;
for then I will remove from your midst
   your proudly exultant ones,
and you shall no longer be haughty
   in my holy mountain.
For I will leave in the midst of you
   a people humble and lowly.
They shall seek refuge in the name of the Lord
   the remnant of Israel;
they shall do no wrong
   and utter no lies,
nor shall a deceitful tongue
   be found in their mouths.
Then they will pasture and lie down,
   and no one shall make them afraid.

Sing aloud, O daughter Zion;
   shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
   O daughter Jerusalem!
The Lord has taken away the judgements against you,
   he has turned away your enemies.
The king of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
   you shall fear disaster no more.
On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Do not fear, O Zion;
   do not let your hands grow weak.
The Lord, your God, is in your midst,
   a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
   he will renew you in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing
   as on a day of festival.
I will remove disaster from you,
   so that you will not bear reproach for it.
I will deal with all your oppressors
   at that time.
And I will save the lame
   and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise
   and renown in all the earth.
At that time I will bring you home,
   at the time when I gather you;
for I will make you renowned and praised
   among all the peoples of the earth,
when I restore your fortunes
   before your eyes, says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: adapted from Jeremy Taylor, 1655

Music: Farley Castle

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r056.html

Ride on triumphantly! Behold, we lay
our lusts and sins and proud will in thy way:
the road is ready, and thy paths made straight
with longing expectation seem to wait.

Hosanna! Welcome to our hearts! for here
thou hast a temple too, as Zion dear:
enter, O Lord, and cleanse that holy place
where thou dost choose to set thy beauteous face.

SECOND READING [Romans 14:1-12]:

Welcome those who are weak in faith, but not for the purpose of quarrelling over
opinions. Some believe in eating anything, while the weak eat only vegetables. Those
who eat must not despise those who abstain, and those who abstain must not pass
judgement on those who eat; for God has welcomed them. Who are you to pass
judgement on servants of another? It is before their own lord that they stand or fall.
And they will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike.
Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. Those who observe the day, observe it
in honour of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honour of the Lord, since they give
thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honour of the Lord and give thanks
to God.

We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. If we live, we live to the
Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die,
we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be
Lord of both the dead and the living.

Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise
your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God. For it is
written,
'As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
   and every tongue shall give praise to God.'
So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Let no riches make me ever forget myself,
no poverty ever make me to forget thee:
let no hope or fear, no pleasure or pain,
no accident without, no weakness within,
hinder or discompose my duty, or turn me
from the ways of thy commandments.
O, let thy Spirit dwell with me for ever,
and make my soul just and charitable,
full of honesty, full of religion,
resolute and constant in holy purposes,
but inflexible to evil.
Make me humble and obedient, peaceable and pious;
let me never envy any man's goods,
nor deserve to be despised myself:
and if I be, teach me to bear it with meekness and charity. Amen.

Holy and loving God,
you dwell in the human heart
and make us partakers of the divine nature
in Christ our great high priest:
help us who remember your servant Jeremy Taylor
to put our trust in your heavenly promises
and follow a holy life in virtue and true godliness;

Calm our fears and strengthen our faith
that we may never doubt the presence of Jesus Christ our Lord,
but proclaim him as your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever.
Amen.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The opening
prayer uses phrases from _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The first collect is by Jeremy Taylor.

Jeremy Taylor was born at Cambridge in 1613 and ordained in 1633. In the
years between 1633 and the ascendency of the Puritans in 1645, he was a
Fellow of two Cambridge colleges, and chaplain to Archbishop Laud and to
King Charles. Under Puritan rule, he was imprisoned three times, and forced
into retirement as a family chaplain in Wales. After the Restoration, in 1661, he
became Bishop of Down and Connor in Ireland. Among his many books on
theological, moral, and devotional subjects, the best known are The Rule and
Exercises of Holy Living (1650) and The Rule and Exercises of Holy Dying
(1651), usually cited simply as Holy Living and Holy Dying. Many readers,
including Charles Wesley a century later, have reported finding these books of
great spiritual benefit. Another work of his, Liberty of Prophesying, argues for
freedom of conscience and freedom of speech in a religious context. Being
stationed in an area that was largely Roman Catholic, he was, perhaps
inevitably, drawn into controversy, and he wrote a book called Dissuasion (or
Dissuasive) Against Popery. [James Kiefer]