OREMUS: 12 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 11 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 12, 2008
John Henry Newman, Priest, Tractarian, 1890

Blessed are you, O Lord,
from the rising of the sun to its going down,
your Name is praised,
for you have raised us from the dust and set before us
the vision of your glory.
As you bestowed upon us the dignity of a royal priesthood,
you lift up our hearts to celebrate your praise.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1,2,3b-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,
But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.
The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.
The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.
They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [Zephaniah 3:1-8]:

Ah, soiled, defiled,
   oppressing city!
It has listened to no voice;
   it has accepted no correction.
It has not trusted in the Lord;
   it has not drawn near to its God.

The officials within it
   are roaring lions;
its judges are evening wolves
   that leave nothing until the morning.
Its prophets are reckless,
   faithless persons;
its priests have profaned what is sacred,
   they have done violence to the law.
The Lord within it is righteous;
   he does no wrong.
Every morning he renders his judgement,
   each dawn without fail;
   but the unjust knows no shame.

I have cut off nations;
   their battlements are in ruins;
I have laid waste their streets
   so that no one walks in them;
their cities have been made desolate,
   without people, without inhabitants.
I said, 'Surely the city will fear me,
   it will accept correction;
it will not lose sight
   of all that I have brought upon it.'
But they were the more eager
   to make all their deeds corrupt.

Therefore wait for me, says the Lord,
   for the day when I arise as a witness.
For my decision is to gather nations,
   to assemble kingdoms,
to pour out upon them my indignation,
   all the heat of my anger;
for in the fire of my passion
   all the earth shall be consumed.

HYMN
Words: John Henry Newman, 1833
Tune: Lux Benigna, Sandon, Alberta

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l014.html

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
pride ruled my will: remember not past years!

So long thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
will lead me on.
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

SECOND READING [Romans 13]:

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority
except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God.
Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who
resist will incur judgement. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Do
you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive
its approval; for it is God's servant for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you
should be afraid, for the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of
God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be subject, not only
because of wrath but also because of conscience. For the same reason you also pay
taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, busy with this very thing. Pay to all what
is due to them taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due,
respect to whom respect is due, honour to whom honour is due.
Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has
fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; You shall not
murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet'; and any other commandment, are
summed up in this word, 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' Love does no wrong to a
neighbour; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.
Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake
from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; the
night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put
on the armour of light; let us live honourably as in the day, not in revelling and
drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarrelling and jealousy.
Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify
its desires.

God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....
the Church, especially

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

I may never know it in this life
but I shall be told it in the next.
I am a link in a chain
a bond of connection between persons.
He has not created me for naught.
I shall do good - I shall do his work.
I shall be an angel of peace
a preacher of truth in my own place
while not intending it
if I do but keep his commandments.
he does nothing in vain.
He knows what he is about.
He may take away my friends.
He may throw me among strangers.
He may make me feel desolate
make my spirits sink
hide my future from me - still
he knows what he is about. Amen.

God of power and might,
give us grace to follow the example
of your servant John Henry Newman
and seek inward conversion
and put aside external conformity for its own sake,
that we may serve God and do good without thinking about it,
without any calculation or reasoning,
from love of the good and hatred of evil,
dwelling in the full light of the Gospel
of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Calm our fears and strengthen our faith
that we may never doubt the presence of Jesus Christ our Lord,
but proclaim him as your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever.
Amen.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The opening
prayer uses phrases from _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The first collect is by Cardinal Newman.

The second collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is based on phrases from a
sermon by John Henry Newman.

John Henry Newman began his career as an Anglican churchman and scholar
and ended it as a Roman Catholic cardinal. He was born in London on
February 21, 1801, and at the age of fifteen, he enrolled in Trinity College,
beginning an association with Oxford University that would last for nearly
thirty years.
Newman moved from Trinity to Oriel College after receiving his bachelor's
degree in 1820, becoming a fellow in 1822 and a tutor in 1826. Two years
later, Edward Hawkins became the new provost of Oriel. Newman supported
Hawkins' candidacy, but it soon became clear that the two held different views
about the responsibilities of a college tutor: Newman believed that the
tutorship carried some pastoral duties, while Hawkins maintained that the
tutor/student relationship should be strictly academic. When Newman objected
to this view, Hawkins cut off his supply of new students, leaving him little
choice but to resign his post, which he did in 1832.
Newman's work in Oxford did not end with his resignation from the Oriel
tutorship. He had held academic and pastoral assignments simultaneously for
several years, serving first as both fellow of Oriel and curate of St. Clement's
and later as both tutor and vicar of St. Mary's. He remained in his pastoral
office until 1843, attracting hundreds of students, university officials, and
townspeople to St. Mary's with his scholarly yet earnest preaching.
The high point of Newman's Anglican career was his influential role in the
Oxford Movement, a High Church effort to return to the foundations of the
faith--the sacraments, episcopal governance, and apostolic succession--and to
affirm the Church's status as the via media, the middle ground between Roman
Catholicism's unfounded claims to authority and infallibility and the Dissenters'
equally unfounded emphasis upon spiritual liberty and private judgment. The
Movement began on July 14, 1833, when John Keble delivered a sermon
entitled "National Apostasy" from the pulpit of St. Mary's. Newman became
involved a few months later and was the Movement's primary spokesman,
promoting its doctrinal and moral concerns through his editorship of the British
Critic, his contributions to Tracts for the Times, and his weekly sermons at St.
Mary's.
In 1839, Newman began to lose confidence in the cause. The study of the
Monophysites he undertook that summer raised doubts about the validity of
the via media, and he soon became convinced that Rome, not Canterbury, was
the home of the true Church. He expressed his new views in Tract Ninety, in
which he argued that the Thirty-Nine Articles, the doctrinal statement of the
Church of England, could be interpreted in a way that supported Roman
Catholic doctrine. The Tract was published on February 27, 1841; its censure
by the Oxford authorities on March 15 was a severe blow to the Movement
and led to Newman's rapid withdrawal from Anglican life. Between July 1841
and September 1843, he left the British Critic, moved from Oxford to a
semi-monastic community at Littlemore, retracted the anti-Catholic statements
he had published, and resigned his position at St. Mary's.
Two years after leaving St. Mary's, Newman began a new life as a Roman
Catholic. He was officially received into the Church on October 9, 1845 and
was ordained to the priesthood the next year. His work with the Church
included establishing the Oratory of St. Philip Neri near Birmingham in 1848
and helping to create the Catholic University of Ireland, which he served as
rector from 1854 to 1858. He continued to write as well; some of the major
publications of his Catholic years were Parochial and Plain Sermons (1868), a
new edition of his Anglican discourses; The Idea of University (1852), a
collection of the inaugural lectures for the Catholic University and other
academic essays; An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent (1870), a treatise on
the philosophy of religion; and Apologia Pro Vita Sua (1864), his classic work
of spiritual autobiography.
The 1870s brought Newman special recognition for his work as both an
Anglican and a Roman Catholic. In 1877 he became the first person elected to
an honorary fellowship of Trinity College; two years later, Pope Leo XIII
awarded him a place in the College of Cardinals. He died on August 11, 1890,
and was buried in Warwickshire.