OREMUS: 10 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 9 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, August 10, 2008
The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O Lord,
from the rising of the sun to its going down,
your Name is praised,
for you have raised us from the dust and set before us
the vision of your glory.
As you bestowed upon us the dignity of a royal priesthood,
you lift up our hearts to celebrate your praise.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;
In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.
In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Tobit 13:1b-5,7-11]:

Tobit said:
'Blessed be God who lives for ever,
   because his kingdom lasts throughout all ages.
For he afflicts, and he shows mercy;
   he leads down to Hades in the lowest regions of the earth,
   and he brings up from the great abyss,
   and there is nothing that can escape his hand.
Acknowledge him before the nations, O children of Israel;
   for he has scattered you among them.
   He has shown you his greatness even there.
Exalt him in the presence of every living being,
   because he is our Lord and he is our God;
   he is our Father and he is God for ever.
He will afflict you for your iniquities,
   but he will again show mercy on all of you.
He will gather you from all the nations
   among whom you have been scattered.
As for me, I exalt my God,
   and my soul rejoices in the King of heaven.
Let all people speak of his majesty,
   and acknowledge him in Jerusalem.
O Jerusalem, the holy city,
   he afflicted you for the deeds of your hands,
   but will again have mercy on the children of the righteous.
Acknowledge the Lord, for he is good,
   and bless the King of the ages,
   so that his tent may be rebuilt in you in joy.
May he cheer all those within you who are captives,
   and love all those within you who are distressed,
   to all generations for ever. heaven.
Generation after generation will give joyful praise in you;
   the name of the chosen city will endure for ever.
A bright light will shine to all the ends of the earth;
   many nations will come to you from far away,
the inhabitants of the remotest parts of the earth to your holy name,
   bearing gifts in their hands for the King.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1872
Music: Herr Jesu Christ

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a176.html

All things are thine; no gift have we,
Lord of all gifts, to offer thee:
and hence with grateful hearts today
thine own before thy feet we lay.

Thy will was in the builders' thought;
thy hand unseen amidst us wrought;
through mortal motive, scheme and plan,
thy wise eternal purpose ran.

In weakness and in want we call
on thee for whom the heavens are small;
thy glory is thy children's good,
thy joy thy tender Fatherhood.

O Father, deign these walls to bless;
fill with thy love their emptiness;
and let their door a gateway be
to lead us from ourselves to thee.

SECOND READING [Romans 15:14-21]:

I myself feel confident about you, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full
of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to instruct one another. Nevertheless,
on some points I have written to you rather boldly by way of reminder, because of the
grace given me by God to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly
service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable,
sanctified by the Holy Spirit. In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to boast of my work
for God. For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has
accomplished through me to win obedience from the Gentiles, by word and deed, by
the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God, so that from
Jerusalem and as far around as Illyricum I have fully proclaimed the good news of
Christ. Thus I make it my ambition to proclaim the good news, not where Christ has
already been named, so that I do not build on someone else's foundation, but as it is
written,
'Those who have never been told of him shall see,
   and those who have never heard of him shall understand.'

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you sent your Holy Spirit
to be the life and light of your Church:
Open our hearts to the riches of your grace,
that we may bring forth the fruit of the Spirit
in love, joy, and peace;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Calm our fears and strengthen our faith
that we may never doubt the presence of Jesus Christ our Lord,
but proclaim him as your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever.
Amen.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The opening
prayer uses phrases from _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
(Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)