OREMUS: 4 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Aug 3 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, August 4, 2008

beyond all seeing and knowing,
yet we meet you in the night of change and crisis,
and wrestle with you in the darkness of doubt.
You renew us with your your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness
sustain us by your true and living bread,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8.2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.
All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.
The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;
If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.
These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.
For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

FIRST READING [Nahum 1:3-8,15]:

The Lord is slow to anger but great in power,
   and the Lord will by no means clear the guilty.

His way is in whirlwind and storm,
   and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
He rebukes the sea and makes it dry,
   and he dries up all the rivers;
Bashan and Carmel wither,
   and the bloom of Lebanon fades.
The mountains quake before him,
   and the hills melt;
the earth heaves before him,
   the world and all who live in it.

Who can stand before his indignation?
   Who can endure the heat of his anger?
His wrath is poured out like fire,
   and by him the rocks are broken in pieces.
The Lord is good,
   a stronghold on a day of trouble;
he protects those who take refuge in him,
   even in a rushing flood.
He will make a full end of his adversaries,
   and will pursue his enemies into darkness.
Look! On the mountains the feet of one
   who brings good tidings,
   who proclaims peace!
Celebrate your festivals, O Judah,
   fulfil your vows,
for never again shall the wicked invade you;
   they are utterly cut off.

HYMN
Words: Mary Ann Faulkner Thomson, 1870
Music: Tidings (Angelic Songs)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o724.html

O Zion, haste, thy mission high fulfilling,
to tell to all the world that God is Light;
that he who made all nations is not willing
one soul should fail to know his love and might.
Refrain:
Publish glad tidings: tidings of peace
tidings of Jesus, redemption and release.

Behold how many thousands still are lying
bound in the darksome prison house of sin,
with none to tell them of the Savior's dying,
or of the life he died for them to win. Refrain

'Tis thine to save from peril of perdition
the souls for whom the Lord his life laid down;
beware lest, slothful to fulfill thy mission,
thou lose one jewel that should deck his crown. Refrain

Proclaim to every people, tongue, and nation
that God, in whom they live and move, is Love;
tell how he stooped to save his lost creation,
and died on earth that all might live above. Refrain

Give of thy sons to bear the message glorious;
give of thy wealth to speed them on their way;
pour out thy soul for them in prayer victorious
till God shall bring his kingdom's joyful day. Refrain

He comes again! O Zion, ere thou meet him,
make known to every heart his saving grace;
let none whom he hath ransomed fail to greet him,
through thy neglect, unfit to see his face. Refrain

SECOND READING [Romans 8:18-27]:

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the
glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the
revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its
own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will
be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the
children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labour pains
until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the
Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For
in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is
seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we
ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. And God, who
searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes
for the saints according to the will of God.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Majestic God,
you led your people like a flock
and delivered them by your mighty power in times of old:
do not forget your people in their troubles
and raise up your power
to sustain the poor and helpless,
for the honour of your Name. Amen.

Refresh us with your grace,
that we may not be weary in well-doing,
for the sake of him who has called us
to hunger and thirst to see right prevail,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms and collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray),

The opening prayer uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts and from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.
The closing prayer uses phrases from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.