OREMUS: 3 August 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 2 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, August 3, 2008
The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost

beyond all seeing and knowing,
yet we meet you in the night of change and crisis,
and wrestle with you in the darkness of doubt.
You renew us with your your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness
sustain us by your true and living bread,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.<td
colspan=2>
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

Benedicite (The Song of the Three 35-65)

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
bless the Lord all you his hosts;
bless the Lord you waters above the heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord sun and moon:
bless the Lord you stars of heaven;
bless the Lord all rain and dew:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all winds that blow:
bless the Lord you fire and heat;
bless the Lord scorching wind and bitter cold:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord dews and falling snows:
bless the Lord you nights and days;
bless the Lord light and darkness:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord frost and cold:
bless the Lord you ice and snow;
bless the Lord lightnings and clouds:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O let the earth bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you mountains and hills;
bless the Lord all that grows in the ground:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you springs:
bless the Lord you seas and rivers;
bless the Lord you whales and all that swim in the waters:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all birds of the air:
bless the Lord you beasts and cattle;
bless the Lord all people on earth:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O people of God bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you priests of the Lord;
bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 35:10-19]:

Be generous when you worship the Lord,
   and do not stint the first fruits of your hands.
With every gift show a cheerful face,
   and dedicate your tithe with gladness.
Give to the Most High as he has given to you,
   and as generously as you can afford.
For the Lord is the one who repays,
   and he will repay you sevenfold.

Do not offer him a bribe, for he will not accept it;
   and do not rely on a dishonest sacrifice;
for the Lord is the judge,
   and with him there is no partiality.
He will not show partiality to the poor;
   but he will listen to the prayer of one who is wronged.
He will not ignore the supplication of the orphan,
   or the widow when she pours out her complaint.
Do not the tears of the widow run down her cheek
   as she cries out against the one who causes them to fall?

HYMN
Words: John Samuel Bewley Monsell, 1863
Tune: šttingen, Dymchurch

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w584.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w584.ht
ml

Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness,
bow down before him, his glory proclaim;
gold of obedience and incense of lowliness,
bring and adore him the Lord is his Name.

Low at his feet lay thy burden of carefulness,
high on his heart he will bear it for thee;
comfort thy sorrows and answer thy prayerfulness,
guiding thy steps as may best for thee be.

Fear not to enter his courts in the slenderness
of the poor wealth thou wouldst reckon as thine;
truth in its beauty, and love in its tenderness,
these are the offerings to lay on his shrine.

These though we bring them in trembling and fearfulness,
he will accept for the Name that is dear,
mornings of joy give for evenings of tearfulness,
trust for out trembling, and hope for our fear.

Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness,
bow down before him, his glory proclaim;
gold of obedience and incense of lowliness,
bring and adore him the Lord is his Name.

SECOND READING [Mark 12:38-end]:

As Jesus taught, he said, 'Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long
robes, and to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have the best seats
in the synagogues and places of honour at banquets! They devour widows' houses and
for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater
condemnation.'

He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the
treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two
small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to
them, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are
contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance;
but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.'

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray to God, the Father of all mercies, to look upon us and our world in kindness and
understanding.

We pray that your mercy will descend upon the Church throughout the world; preserve her in
peace and truth, in harmony and service: that her sacrifice of prayer and thanksgiving may reach
your presence. Merciful God, hear our prayer.

We pray for the world today and especially all those who have been broken or disabled by war or
whose lives have been thrown into disorder by cruelty or loneliness. We pray for all nations who
are exploited, for all who are poor and without legal rights, for all who are maltreated because of
their race or religion. Merciful God, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who lack the vital necessities of life: for health for those who are ill; for new
opportunities for those who have failed; for confidence and energy for those who live in
disappointment. Merciful God, hear our prayer.

We pray for the Lord's blessing on the hospitals of our land and all who work in them: that the
Lord will prosper all that is done for the healing of the sick and the conquest of disease. Merciful
God, hear our prayer.

Almighty Father, whose love cannot be measured, we bless and praise you for all your goodness.
In our darkness be our light; in our sorrows be our comfort and peace. This we ask through Christ
our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ fed the hungry
with the bread of his life and the word of his kingdom:
Renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness sustain us by your true and living bread,
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

Refresh us with your grace,
that we may not be weary in well-doing,
for the sake of him who has called us
to hunger and thirst to see right prevail,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a prayer in _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts and from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.
The closing prayer uses phrases from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on their
website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers