OREMUS: 1 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 30 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, May 1, 2008
The Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2.5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 33:5-6,17,20-22]:

The Lord is exalted, he dwells on high;
   he filled Zion with justice and righteousness;
he will be the stability of your times,
   abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge;
   the fear of the Lord is Zion's treasure.

Your eyes will see the king in his beauty;
   they will behold a land that stretches far away.
Look on Zion, the city of our appointed festivals!
   Your eyes will see Jerusalem,
   a quiet habitation, an immovable tent,
whose stakes will never be pulled up,
   and none of whose ropes will be broken.
But there the Lord in majesty will be for us
   a place of broad rivers and streams,
where no galley with oars can go,
   nor stately ship can pass.
For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our ruler,
   the Lord is our king; he will save us.

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifth century; trans. John Mason Neale
Tune: Deus tuorum militum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e051.html

Eternal Monarch, King most high,
whose blood hath brought redemption nigh,
by whom the death of Death was wrought,
and conquering Grace's battle fought.

Ascending to the throne of might,
and seated at the Father's right,
all power in heaven is Jesus' own,
that here his manhood had not known.

That so, in nature's triple frame,
each heavenly and each earthly name,
and things in hell's abyss abhorred,
may bend the knee and own him Lord.

Yea, angels tremble when they see
how changed is our humanity;
that flesh hath purged what flesh had stained,
and God, the flesh of God, hath reigned.

Be thou our joy and strong defense,
who art our future recompense:
so shall the light that springs from thee
be ours through all eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to thee let earth accord,
who art, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit one.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 4:14-5:10]:

Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus,
the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest
who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every
respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the
throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in
time of need.
Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to
God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with
the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness; and because of this
he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. And one
does not presume to take this honour, but takes it only when called by God, just as
Aaron was.
So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by
the one who said to him,
'You are my Son,
   today I have begotten you';
as he says also in another place,
'You are a priest for ever,
   according to the order of Melchizedek.'

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and
tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of
his reverent submission. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what
he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation
for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the
order of Melchizedek.

Let us seek the Father's blessing and the gifts of the Spirit,
praying through Christ our Lord
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Great High Priest, ever living to intercede for us,
pray for the Church, your broken body in the world.
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high,
pray for the world, and subject it to your gentle rule...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God,
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Pioneer of our salvation, bringing us to glory
through your death and resurrection,
surround with your saints and angels
those who have died trusting in your promises....
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Lord over all things,
ascending far above the heavens and filling the universe,
pray for us who receive the gifts you give for work in your service...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit..

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ ascended to the throne of heaven
that he might rule over all things as Lord
Keep the church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring all creation to worship at his feet,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us pray as our King has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, our ascended King,
pour upon us the abundance of his gifts
and bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.