OREMUS: 30 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 29 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Rogation Wednesday

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Song of the Three 29-37]:

'Blessed are you, O Lord, God of our ancestors,
   and to be praised and highly exalted for ever;
And blessed is your glorious, holy name,
   and to be highly praised and highly exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the temple of your holy glory,
   and to be extolled and highly glorified for ever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths from your throne on the cherubim,
   and to be praised and highly exalted for ever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
   and to be extolled and highly exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the firmament of heaven,
   and to be sung and glorified for ever.

'Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord;
   sing praise to him and highly exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord, you heavens;
   sing praise to him and highly exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord, you angels of the Lord;
   sing praise to him and highly exalt him for ever.

HYMN
Words: Joseph Addison, 1712
Tune: Creation

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t352.html

The spacious firmament on high,
with all the blue ethereal sky,
and spangled heavens, a shining frame,
their great Original proclaim.
The unwearied sun from day to day
does his Creator's power display;
and publishes to every land
the work of an almighty hand.

Soon as the evening shades prevail,
the moon takes up the wondrous tale,
and nightly to the listening earth
repeats the story of her birth:
whilst all the stars that round her burn,
and all the planets in their turn,
confirm the tidings, as they roll
and spread the truth from pole to pole.

What though in solemn silence all
move round the dark terrestrial ball?
What though no real voice nor sound
amid their radiant orbs be found?
In reason's ear they all rejoice,
and utter forth a glorious voice;
for ever singing as they shine,
"The hand that made us is divine."

SECOND READING [1 John 5:5-15]:

Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of
God?
This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only
but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit
is the truth. There are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood, and
these three agree. If we receive human testimony, the testimony of God is greater; for
this is the testimony of God that he has testified to his Son. Those who believe in the
Son of God have the testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in God have
made him a liar by not believing in the testimony that God has given concerning his
Son. And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have
life.
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you
may know that you have eternal life.
And this is the boldness we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will,
he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we
have obtained the requests made of him.

O God our creator,
whose good earth is entrusted to our care
and delight and tenderness, we pray:
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.

For all who are in captivity to debt,
whose lives are cramped by fear
from which there is no turning
except through abundant harvest.
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.

For all who depend on the earth for their
daily food and fuel
whose forests are destroyed
for the profits of a few.
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.

For all who labour in poverty,
who are oppressed by unjust laws,
who are banned for speaking the truth,
who long for a harvest of justice.
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.

For all who are in captivity
to greed and waste and boredom,
whose harvest joy is choked
with things they do not need.
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.

Turn us again from our captivity
and restore our vision,
that our mouth may be filled with laughter
and our tongue with singing. Amen.

Eternal God,
our beginning and our end,
accompany us in this day's journey.
Dawn on our darkness,
open our eyes to praise you for your creation
and to see the work you set before us today.
Take us and use us
to bring to others the new life you give
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession and collect are from  _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.