OREMUS: 28 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 27 20:06:31 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday April 28, 2008
Rogation Monday

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

Benedicite (The Song of the Three 35-65)

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
bless the Lord all you his hosts;
bless the Lord you waters above the heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord sun and moon:
bless the Lord you stars of heaven;
bless the Lord all rain and dew:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all winds that blow:
bless the Lord you fire and heat;
bless the Lord scorching wind and bitter cold:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord dews and falling snows:
bless the Lord you nights and days;
bless the Lord light and darkness:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord frost and cold:
bless the Lord you ice and snow;
bless the Lord lightnings and clouds:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O let the earth bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you mountains and hills;
bless the Lord all that grows in the ground:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you springs:
bless the Lord you seas and rivers;
bless the Lord you whales and all that swim in the waters:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all birds of the air:
bless the Lord you beasts and cattle;
bless the Lord all people on earth:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O people of God bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you priests of the Lord;
bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 28:1-14]:

If you will only obey the Lord your God, by diligently observing all his commandments
that I am commanding you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the
nations of the earth; all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you
obey the Lord your God:

Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.

Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb, the fruit of your ground, and the fruit of your
livestock, both the increase of your cattle and the issue of your flock.

Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading-bowl.

Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go
out.

The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you; they
shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways. The Lord will
command the blessing upon you in your barns, and in all that you undertake; he will
bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. The Lord will establish you
as his holy people, as he has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord
your God and walk in his ways. All the peoples of the earth shall see that you are
called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you. The Lord will make
you abound in prosperity, in the fruit of your womb, in the fruit of your livestock, and
in the fruit of your ground in the land that the Lord swore to your ancestors to give
you. The Lord will open for you his rich storehouse, the heavens, to give the rain of
your land in its season and to bless all your undertakings. You will lend to many
nations, but you will not borrow. The Lord will make you the head, and not the tail;
you shall be only at the top, and not at the bottom if you obey the commandments of
the Lord your God, which I am commanding you today, by diligently observing them,
and if you do not turn aside from any of the words that I am commanding you today,
either to the right or to the left, following other gods to serve them.

HYMN
Words: Huper tes anothen eirenes translated John Brownlie (1857-1925)
Tune: Ach Gott und Herr

Lord, to our humble prayers attend,
Let thou thy peace from heaven descend,
And to our souls salvation send:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Rule in our hearts, thou Prince of Peace,
The welfare of thy Church increase,
And bid all strife and discord cease:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

To all who meet for worship here
Do thou in faithfulness draw near;
Inspire with faith and godly fear:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

O let thy priests be clothed with might,
To rule within thy Church aright,
That they may serve as in thy sight:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

The sovereign ruler of our land
Protect by thine almighty hand,
And all around the throne who stand:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Let clouds and sunshine bless the earth,
Give flowers and fruit a timely birth,
Our harvests crown with peaceful mirth:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Let voyagers by land and sea
In danger's hour in safety be;
The suffering and the captive free:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Around us let thine arm be cast,
Till wrath and danger are o'erpast,
And tribulation's bitter blast:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

SECOND READING [James 1:1-17]:

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the
Dispersion: Greetings.

My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but
joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let
endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in
nothing.

If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and
ungrudgingly, and it will be given you. But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one
who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter,
being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything
from the Lord.

Let the believer who is lowly boast in being raised up, and the rich in being brought
low, because the rich will disappear like a flower in the field. For the sun rises with its
scorching heat and withers the field; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. It is the
same with the rich; in the midst of a busy life, they will wither away.

Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will
receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. No one,
when tempted, should say, 'I am being tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted
by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one's own desire, being
lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and
that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my
beloved.

Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above, coming down
from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O God our creator,
whose good earth is entrusted to our care
and delight and tenderness, we pray:
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who are in captivity to debt,
whose lives are cramped by fear
>From which there is no turning
except through abundant harvest;
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who depend on the earth
for their daily food and fuel,
whose forests are destroyed
for the profit of a few.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who labour in poverty,
who are oppressed by unjust laws,
who are banned from speaking the truth,
who long for a harvest of justice.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who are in captivity
to greed and waste and boredom,
whose harvest joy is choked
with things they do not need.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

Turn us again from our captivity
and restore our vision,
that our mouth may be filled with laughter
and our tongue with singing. Amen.

O merciful Creator,
your hand is open wide to satisfy the needs of every living creature:
Make us always thankful for your loving providence;
and grant that we, remembering the account that we must one day give,
may be faithful stewards of your good gifts;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.