OREMUS: 27 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 26 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, April 27, 2008
The Sixth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 36:25-end]:

I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your
uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. A new heart I will give you,
and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of
stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you, and make you
follow my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances. Then you shall live in the
land that I gave to your ancestors; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.
I will save you from all your uncleannesses, and I will summon the grain and make it
abundant and lay no famine upon you. I will make the fruit of the tree and the produce
of the field abundant, so that you may never again suffer the disgrace of famine among
the nations. Then you shall remember your evil ways, and your dealings that were not
good; and you shall loathe yourselves for your iniquities and your abominable deeds. It
is not for your sake that I will act, says the Lord God; let that be known to you. Be
ashamed and dismayed for your ways, O house of Israel.
Thus says the Lord God: On the day that I cleanse you from all your iniquities, I will
cause the towns to be inhabited, and the waste places shall be rebuilt. The land that
was desolate shall be tilled, instead of being the desolation that it was in the sight of all
who passed by. And they will say, 'This land that was desolate has become like the
garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined towns are now inhabited and
fortified.' Then the nations that are left all around you shall know that I, the Lord,
have rebuilt the ruined places, and replanted that which was desolate; I, the Lord, have
spoken, and I will do it.
Thus says the Lord God: I will also let the house of Israel ask me to do this for them:
to increase their population like a flock. Like the flock for sacrifices, like the flock at
Jerusalem during her appointed festivals, so shall the ruined towns be filled with flocks
of people. Then they shall know that I am the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Uffingham

Holy, and true, and righteous Lord,
I wait to prove Thy perfect will;
Be mindful of Thy gracious word,
And stamp me with Thy Spirit's seal.

Confound, o'erpower me by Thy grace,
I would be by myself abhorred;
All might, all majesty, all praise,
All glory, be to Christ my Lord.

Now let me gain perfection's height,
Now let me into nothing fall,
Be less than nothing in Thy sight,
And feel that Christ is all in all.

SECOND READING [Mark 11:22-26]:

Jesus answered them, 'Have faith in God. Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain,
"Be taken up and thrown into the sea", and if you do not doubt in your heart, but believe
that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. So I tell you, whatever you
ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

'Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your
Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.'

We pray for the peoples of Gaza. Especially we bring before the Lord the needs of
women and children who so often have to carry the greatest burdens of violence and
unrest. May those who can bring peace be encouraged and supported in their
efforts.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer..

Let us pray for parents and those especially who are anxious about their children. We
ask God's blessing on all families under strain.
Lord, in your goodness.
hear our prayer..

We pray for all who seek God with a sincere heart. Let us pray especially for people of
faiths other than our own. May God be praised by those whom he has created, so that
the whole human family may be united and at peace.
Lord, hear us.
hear our prayer..

Let us pray for those called to serve the people of Zimbabwe. May they find ways of
working together for the good of all who suffer. Let us bring before the Lord those who
are most in need at this time, in particular those who are hungry and feel they have no
hope.
Lord, in your mercy.
hear our prayer..

We pray that we may be concerned for those more in need than ourselves. Concern for
action on poverty is a daily call from the Lord to care for those who are most vulnerable
in our communities. Let us pray for all those who work in civil society to make sure help
is available where it is needed.
Lord, hear us.
hear our prayer..

Let us pray for peace in Iraq. Let us pray especially for those who have been bereaved
through the war. We bring before the Lord those who have lost loved ones as civilians
or soldiers, of whatever race or belief. May the Lord give them comfort.
Lord, in your goodness.
hear our prayer..

O God,
you have prepared for those who love you
such good things as surpass our understanding:
Pour into our hearts such love towards you,
that we, loving you in all things and above all things,
may obtain your promises,
which exceed all that we can desire;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The bidding prayer is from Redemptorist Publications http://www.rpbooks.co.uk