OREMUS: 24 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 23 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, April 24, 2008
Martyrs of the Twentieth Century

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1.3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,
According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 54:1-10]:

Sing, O barren one who did not bear;
   burst into song and shout,
   you who have not been in labour!
For the children of the desolate woman will be more
   than the children of her that is married, says the Lord.
Enlarge the site of your tent,
   and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out;
do not hold back; lengthen your cords
   and strengthen your stakes.
For you will spread out to the right and to the left,
   and your descendants will possess the nations
   and will settle the desolate towns.

Do not fear, for you will not be ashamed;
   do not be discouraged, for you will not suffer disgrace;
for you will forget the shame of your youth,
   and the disgrace of your widowhood you will remember no more.
For your Maker is your husband,
   the Lord of hosts is his name;
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
   the God of the whole earth he is called.
For the Lord has called you
   like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit,
like the wife of a man's youth when she is cast off,
   says your God.
For a brief moment I abandoned you,
   but with great compassion I will gather you.
In overflowing wrath for a moment
   I hid my face from you,
but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,
   says the Lord, your Redeemer.

This is like the days of Noah to me:
   Just as I swore that the waters of Noah
   would never again go over the earth,
so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you
   and will not rebuke you.
For the mountains may depart
   and the hills be removed,
but my steadfast love shall not depart from you,
   and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,
   says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

HYMN
Words: Mitre Hymn Book, 1836 based on John Wesley's 1739 paraphrase of a text
by Paul Gerhardt, 1653 ("Befiehl du deine Wege")
Tune: Doncaster

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p141.html

Put thou thy trust in God,
in duty's path go on;
walk in his strength with faith and hope,
so shall thy work be done.

Commit thy ways to him,
thy works into his hands,
and rest on his unchanging word,
who heaven and earth commands.

Though years on years roll on,
his covenant shall endure;
though clouds and darkness hide his path,
the promised grace is sure.

Give to the winds thy fears;
hope, and be undismayed:
God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears;
God shall lift up thy head.

Through waves and clouds and storms
his power will clear thy way:
wait thou his time; the darkest night
shall end in brightest day.

Leave to his sovereign sway
to choose and to command;
so shalt thou, wondering, own his way,
how wise, how strong his hand.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 5:15-end]:

Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of
the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will
of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with
the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing
and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all
times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head
of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Saviour.
Just as the church is subject to Christ, so also wives ought to be, in everything, to their
husbands.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for
her, in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word,
so as to present the church to himself in splendour, without a spot or wrinkle or
anything of the kind yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish. In the same
way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his
wife loves himself. For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly
cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, because we are members of his body.
'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and
the two will become one flesh.' This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ
and the church. Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife
should respect her husband.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Merciful God,
break the bonds of our complacency
and strengthen our hearts and hands,
that, in remembrance of all those
who have died for their faith,
we may advance your justice
and show forth your power,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in
The second collect is adapted from _For All the Saints_, (c)
General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

This day is a day of remembrance of the millions killed for their faith during the
twentienth century. The day is chosen to coincide with today's remembrance of the murder
of Armenians on this day in 1915.
Armenia is located at the east end of modern Turkey, with some of its
traditional territory now in Turkey and some across the border in the former
Soviet Union. The Armenians were converted to Christianity around 280 or
290, and are accounted the first country to become predominantly Christian.
Their country is located at a spot where empires have clashed for centuries,
and they have often been caught in the middle. For centuries they have been
dominated by their moslem neighbors, most recently the Turks of the Ottoman
Empire.
The Turks were concerned about the possibility of an Armenian revolt. In 1895
and 1896 the Turkish Army killed about 100,000 Armenian civilians. Then in
1915, early in World War I, with Turkey fighting on the side of Germany and
Austria-Hungary, and Russia fighting in alliance with the British and French on
the other side, the Turkish government accused the Armenians of plotting with
the Russians to assist a Russian invasion of Turkey. That spring, around
600,000 Armenians were killed by the Turkish Army, in an attempt to
exterminate the Armenians completely. Much of the slaughter took place on 24
April 1915. The survivors were driven eastward and escaped into Russia. On
29 November 1920, most of Armenia was annexed by the Soviet Union.
It is sometimes said that the issues here were national, political, and ethnic
rather than religious, and that the victims therefore do not qualify as martyrs.
However, many of the Armenians, when about to be killed, were given the
option of saving their lives by converting to Islam. Few did. [James Kiefer]