OREMUS: 22 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 51:12-16]:

I, I am he who comforts you;
   why then are you afraid of a mere mortal who must die,
   a human being who fades like grass?
You have forgotten the Lord, your Maker,
   who stretched out the heavens
   and laid the foundations of the earth.
You fear continually all day long
   because of the fury of the oppressor,
who is bent on destruction.
   But where is the fury of the oppressor?
The oppressed shall speedily be released;
   they shall not die and go down to the Pit,
   nor shall they lack bread.
For I am the Lord your God,
   who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar
   the Lord of hosts is his name.
I have put my words in your mouth,
   and hidden you in the shadow of my hand,
stretching out the heavens
   and laying the foundations of the earth,
   and saying to Zion, 'You are my people.'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Deliverance

Worship, and thanks, and blessing,
And strength ascribe to Jesus!
Jesus alone
Defends his own,
When earth and hell oppress us.
Jesus with joy we witness
Almighty to deliver;
Our seal set to,
That God is true,
And reigns a King for ever.

Omnipotent Redeemer,
Our ransomed souls adore thee:
Our Saviour thou,
We find it now,
And give thee all the glory.
We sing thine arm unshortened,
Brought through our sore temptation;
With heart and voice
In thee rejoice,
The God of our salvation.

Thine arm has safely brought us
A way no more expected,
Than when thy sheep
Passed through the deep,
By crystal walls protected.
Thy glory was our rearward,
Thine hand our lives did cover,
And we, ev'n we,
Have walked the sea,
And marched triumphant over.

The world and Satan's malice
Thou, Jesus, hast confounded;
And, by thy grace,
With songs of praise
Our happy souls resounded.
Accepting our deliverance,
We triumph in thy favour,
And for the love
Which now we prove
Shall praise thy name for ever.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 4:17-end]:

Now this I affirm and insist on in the Lord: you must no longer live as the Gentiles live,
in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the
life of God because of their ignorance and hardness of heart. They have lost all
sensitivity and have abandoned themselves to licentiousness, greedy to practise every
kind of impurity. That is not the way you learned Christ! For surely you have heard
about him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus. You were taught to put away
your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, and to be
renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created
according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbours, for we
are members of one another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on
your anger, and do not make room for the devil. Thieves must give up stealing; rather let
them labour and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share
with the needy. Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for
building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. And
do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the
day of redemption. Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling
and slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another, tender-hearted,
forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in