OREMUS: 20 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 19 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, April 20, 2008
The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 60:13-end]:

The glory of Lebanon shall come to you,
   the cypress, the plane, and the pine,
to beautify the place of my sanctuary;
   and I will glorify where my feet rest.
The descendants of those who oppressed you
   shall come bending low to you,
and all who despised you
   shall bow down at your feet;
they shall call you the City of the Lord,
   the Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
Whereas you have been forsaken and hated,
   with no one passing through,
I will make you majestic for ever,
   a joy from age to age.
You shall suck the milk of nations,
   you shall suck the breasts of kings;
and you shall know that I, the Lord, am your Saviour
   and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Instead of bronze I will bring gold,
   instead of iron I will bring silver;
instead of wood, bronze,
   instead of stones, iron.
I will appoint Peace as your overseer
   and Righteousness as your taskmaster.
Violence shall no more be heard in your land,
   devastation or destruction within your borders;
you shall call your walls Salvation,
   and your gates Praise.

The sun shall no longer be
   your light by day,
nor for brightness shall the moon
   give light to you by night;
but the Lord will be your everlasting light,
   and your God will be your glory.
Your sun shall no more go down,
   or your moon withdraw itself;
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
   and your days of mourning shall be ended.
Your people shall all be righteous;
   they shall possess the land for ever.
They are the shoot that I planted, the work of my hands,
   so that I might be glorified.
The least of them shall become a clan,
   and the smallest one a mighty nation;
I am the Lord;
   in its time I will accomplish it quickly.

HYMN
Words: Greek, third century; trans. Robert Bridges, 1899
Tune: Le Cantique de Sim‚on

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o145.html

O gladsome Light, O grace
of God the Father's face,
the eternal splendor wearing;
celestial, holy, blest,
our Savior Jesus Christ,
joyful in thine appearing.

Now, ere day falleth quite,
we see the evening light,
our wonted hymn outpouring;
Father of might unknown,
thee, his incarnate Son,
and Holy Spirit adoring.

To thee of right belongs
all praise of holy songs,
O Son of God, Life-giver;
thee, therefore, O Most High,
the world doth glorify,
and shall exalt for ever.

SECOND READING [John 8:12-30]:

Jesus spoke to them, saying, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will
never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.' Then the Pharisees said to him,
'You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.' Jesus answered,
'Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have
come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I
am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my
judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In
your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own
behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.' Then they said to him,
'Where is your Father?' Jesus answered, 'You know neither me nor my Father. If you
knew me, you would know my Father also.' He spoke these words while he was
teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had
not yet come.
Again he said to them, 'I am going away, and you will search for me, but you will die
in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.' Then the Jews said, 'Is he going to
kill himself? Is that what he means by saying, "Where I am going, you cannot come"?'
He said to them, 'You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am
not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your
sins unless you believe that I am he.' They said to him, 'Who are you?' Jesus said to
them, 'Why do I speak to you at all? I have much to say about you and much to
condemn; but the one who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have
heard from him.' They did not understand that he was speaking to them about the
Father. So Jesus said, 'When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize
that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father
instructed me. And the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I
always do what is pleasing to him.' As he was saying these things, many believed in
him.

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty God,
whom truly to know is everlasting life:
Grant us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ
to be the way, the truth, and the life,
that we may steadfastly follow his steps
in the way that leads to eternal life;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in