OREMUS: 18 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 17 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, April 18, 2008

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Solomon (cf Song of Solomon 8.6,7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.
If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 49:13-23]:

Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth;
   break forth, O mountains, into singing!
For the Lord has comforted his people,
   and will have compassion on his suffering ones.

But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me,
   my Lord has forgotten me.'
Can a woman forget her nursing-child,
   or show no compassion for the child of her womb?
Even these may forget,
   yet I will not forget you.
See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands;
   your walls are continually before me.
Your builders outdo your destroyers,
   and those who laid you waste go away from you.
Lift up your eyes all around and see;
   they all gather, they come to you.
As I live, says the Lord,
   you shall put all of them on like an ornament,
   and like a bride you shall bind them on.

Surely your waste and your desolate places
   and your devastated land
surely now you will be too crowded for your inhabitants,
   and those who swallowed you up will be far away.
The children born in the time of your bereavement
   will yet say in your hearing:
'The place is too crowded for me;
   make room for me to settle.'
Then you will say in your heart,
   'Who has borne me these?
I was bereaved and barren,
   exiled and put away
   so who has reared these?
I was left all alone
   where then have these come from?'

Thus says the Lord God:
I will soon lift up my hand to the nations,
   and raise my signal to the peoples;
and they shall bring your sons in their bosom,
   and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders.
Kings shall be your foster-fathers,
   and their queens your nursing-mothers.
With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you,
   and lick the dust of your feet.
Then you will know that I am the Lord;
   those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton (1826-1893), 1870
Tune: St. Peter, St. Flavian

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b085.html

Behold us, Lord, a little space
from daily tasks set free,
and met within thy holy place
to rest awhile with thee.

Around us rolls the ceaseless tide
of business, toil, and care;
and scarcely can we turn aside
for one brief hour of prayer.

Yet these are not the only walls
wherein thou may'st be sought:
on homeliest work thy blessing falls,
in truth and patience wrought.

Thine is the loom, the forge, the mart,
the wealth of land and sea;
the worlds of science and of art,
revealed and ruled by thee.

Then let us prove our heavenly birth
in all we do and know;
and claim the kingdom of the earth
for thee, and not thy foe.

Work shall be prayer, if all be wrought
as thou wouldst have it done;
and prayer, by thee inspired and taught,
itself with work be one.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 3:1-12]:

This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you
Gentiles  for surely you have already heard of the commission of God's grace that
was given to me for you, and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation,
as I wrote above in a few words, a reading of which will enable you to perceive my
understanding of the mystery of Christ. In former generations this mystery was not
made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and
prophets by the Spirit: that is, the Gentiles have become fellow-heirs, members of the
same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God's grace that was
given to me by the working of his power. Although I am the very least of all the saints,
this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of
Christ, and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in
God who created all things; so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich
variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus
our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in
him.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

O God, the fountain of joy and peace,
you have subjected to the royal power of your Son
the destinies of all peoples and nations:
Sustain us by the power of your Spirit,
and grant that, in the midst of all life's varied changes,
we may never be separated from our Good Shepherd,
who guides us to the springs of life, Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.