OREMUS: 15 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 14 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 46:3-4,9-13]:

Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
   all the remnant of the house of Israel,
who have been borne by me from your birth,
   carried from the womb;
even to your old age I am he,
   even when you turn grey I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear;
   I will carry and will save.

   remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
   I am God, and there is no one like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
   and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, 'My purpose shall stand,
   and I will fulfil my intention',
calling a bird of prey from the east,
   the man for my purpose from a far country.
I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass;
   I have planned, and I will do it.

Listen to me, you stubborn of heart,
   you who are far from deliverance:
I bring near my deliverance, it is not far off,
   and my salvation will not tarry;
I will put salvation in Zion,
   for Israel my glory.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1746
Tune: Gopsal, Darwall's 148th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r026.html

Rejoice the Lord is King!
Your Lord and King adore!
Rejoice, give thanks and sing,
and triumph evermore.
Refrain:
Lift up your heart!
lift up your voice!
Rejoice! again I say, rejoice!

Jesus, the Savior reigns,
the God of truth and love:
when he had purged our stains,
he took his seat above. Refrain

His kingdom cannot fail;
he rules o'er earth and heaven;
the keys of death and hell
are to our Jesus given. Refrain

He sits at God's right hand
till all his foes submit,
and bow to his command,
and fall beneath his feet: Refrain

Rejoice in glorious hope!
Jesus the Judge shall come
and take his servants up
to their eternal home:
We soon shall hear the archangel's voice,
the trump of God shall sound: rejoice!

SECOND READING [Ephesians 1:15-end]:

I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love towards all the saints, and
for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers.
I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit
of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your
heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what
are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the
immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of
his great power. God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the
dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and
authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in
this age but also in the age to come. And he has put all things under his feet and has
made him the head over all things for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him
who fills all in all.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.