OREMUS: 13 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 12 17:00:54 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, April 13, 2008
The Fourth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 5:1-6,14-16]:

Then the righteous will stand with great confidence
in the presence of those who have oppressed them
and those who make light of their labours.
When the unrighteous see them, they will be shaken with dreadful fear,
and they will be amazed at the unexpected salvation of the righteous.
They will speak to one another in repentance,
and in anguish of spirit they will groan, and say,
'These are persons whom we once held in derision
and made a byword of reproach fools that we were!
We thought that their lives were madness
and that their end was without honour.
Why have they been numbered among the children of God?
And why is their lot among the saints?
So it was we who strayed from the way of truth,
and the light of righteousness did not shine on us,
and the sun did not rise upon us.
Because the hope of the ungodly is like thistledown carried by the wind,
and like a light frost driven away by a storm;
it is dispersed like smoke before the wind,
and it passes like the remembrance of a guest who stays but a day.

But the righteous live for ever,
and their reward is with the Lord;
the Most High takes care of them.
Therefore they will receive a glorious crown
and a beautiful diadem from the hand of the Lord,
because with his right hand he will cover them,
and with his arm he will shield them.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1877
Tune: Rosmore

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w458.html

Who is on the Lord's side?
Who will serve the King?
Who will be his helpers,
other lives to bring?
Who will leave the world's side?
Who will face the foe?
Who is on the Lord's side?
Who for him will go?
By thy call of mercy,
by thy grace divine,
we are on the Lord's side,
Savior, we are thine!

Not for weight of glory,
not for crown and palm,
enter we the army,
raise the warrior psalm;
but for love that claimeth
lives for whom he died:
he whom Jesus nameth
must be on his side.
By thy love constraining,
by thy grace divine,
we are on the Lord's side,
Savior, we are thine!

Jesus, thou hast bought us,
not with gold or gem,
but with thine own life blood,
for thy diadem;
with thy blessing filling
each who comes to thee,
thou hast made us willing,
thou hast made us free.
By thy grand redemption,
by thy grace divine,
we are on the Lord's side,
Savior, we are thine!

Fierce may be the conflict,
strong may be the foe,
but the King's own army
none can overthrow;
round his standard ranging,
victory is secure,
for his truth unchanging
makes the triumph sure.
Joyfully enlisting,
by thy grace divine,
we are on the Lord's side,
Savior, we are thine!

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 5]:

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from
God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan,
longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling  if indeed, when we have taken it
off we will not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan under our
burden, because we wish not to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is
mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is
God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the
body we are away from the Lord  for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we do
have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the
Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For all
of us must appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each may receive
recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.
Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade others; but we ourselves
are well known to God, and I hope that we are also well known to your consciences.
We are not commending ourselves to you again, but giving you an opportunity to
boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast in outward
appearance and not in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are
in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ urges us on, because we are
convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died. And he died for all, so that
those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died and was
raised for them.
>From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though
we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way.
So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see,
everything has become new! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself
through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God
was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and
entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. So we are ambassadors for Christ, since
God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled
to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might
become the righteousness of God.

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ is the resurrection and the life:
raise us, who trust him,
from the death of sin to the life of righteousness,
that we may seek those things which are above,
where he reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.