OREMUS: 12 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 11 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, April 12, 2008

Blessed are you, God of glory,
by the Spirit of the risen Christ
you gather us together;
for Christ is the one who walks with us,
who opens the scriptures
and breaks the bread of life.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17)

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and its rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 45:5-12,15-19]:

I am the Lord, and there is no other;
   besides me there is no god.
   I arm you, though you do not know me,
so that they may know, from the rising of the sun
   and from the west, that there is no one besides me;
   I am the Lord, and there is no other.
I form light and create darkness,
   I make weal and create woe;
   I the Lord do all these things.

Shower, O heavens, from above,
   and let the skies rain down righteousness;
let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
   and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also;
   I the Lord have created it.

Woe to you who strive with your Maker,
   earthen vessels with the potter!
Does the clay say to the one who fashions it, 'What are you making?'
   or 'Your work has no handles'?
Woe to anyone who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?'
   or to a woman, 'With what are you in labour?'
Thus says the Lord,
   the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker:
Will you question me about my children,
   or command me concerning the work of my hands?
I made the earth,
   and created humankind upon it;
it was my hands that stretched out the heavens,
   and I commanded all their host.
Truly, you are a God who hides himself,
   O God of Israel, the Saviour.
All of them are put to shame and confounded,
   the makers of idols go in confusion together.
But Israel is saved by the Lord
   with everlasting salvation;
you shall not be put to shame or confounded
   to all eternity.

For thus says the Lord,
who created the heavens
   (he is God!),
who formed the earth and made it
   (he established it;
he did not create it a chaos,
   he formed it to be inhabited!):
I am the Lord, and there is no other.
I did not speak in secret,
   in a land of darkness;
I did not say to the offspring of Jacob,
   'Seek me in chaos.'
I the Lord speak the truth,
   I declare what is right.

HYMN
Words: George Rawson (1807-1889)
Tune: Old 22nd

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w106.html

We limit not the truth of God
to our poor reach of mind,
by notions of our day and sect,
crude, partial, and confined.
no, let a new and better hope
within our hearts be stirred:
Refrain:
The Lord hath yet more light and truth
to break forth from his word.

Who dares to bind to one's own sense
the oracles of heaven,
for all the nations, tongues and climes
and all the ages given?
That universe, how much unknown!
The ocean unexplored! Refrain

O Father, Son, and Spirit, send
us increase from above;
enlarge, expand all Christian souls
to comprehend thy love,
and make us to go on, to know
with nobler powers conferred: Refrain

SECOND READING [1 Peter 5:8-end]:

Discipline yourselves; keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls
around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you
know that your brothers and sisters throughout the world are undergoing the same
kinds of suffering. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace,
who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support,
strengthen, and establish you. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Through Silvanus, whom I consider a faithful brother, I have written this short letter to
encourage you, and to testify that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it. Your
sister church in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you greetings; and so does
my son Mark. Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Open wide the windows of our spirits, O Lord,
and fill them with your light.
Open wide the door of our hearts,
that there we may receive and entertain you
with all the powers of adoration and love;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Make our hearts burn to go back to the world
and speak your word of life in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a prayer by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The collect is by Christina Rossetti.