OREMUS: 10 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 9 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, April 10, 2008

Blessed are you, God of glory,
by the Spirit of the risen Christ
you gather us together;
for Christ is the one who walks with us,
who opens the scriptures
and breaks the bread of life.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and grey-headed, O God,
   do not forsake me,*
 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1.3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,
According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 44:9-20]:

All who make idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit; their
witnesses neither see nor know. And so they will be put to shame. Who would fashion
a god or cast an image that can do no good? Look, all its devotees shall be put to
shame; the artisans too are merely human. Let them all assemble, let them stand up;
they shall be terrified, they shall all be put to shame.
The blacksmith fashions it and works it over the coals, shaping it with hammers, and
forging it with his strong arm; he becomes hungry and his strength fails, he drinks no
water and is faint. The carpenter stretches a line, marks it out with a stylus, fashions it
with planes, and marks it with a compass; he makes it in human form, with human
beauty, to be set up in a shrine. He cuts down cedars or chooses a holm tree or an oak
and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain
nourishes it. Then it can be used as fuel. Part of it he takes and warms himself; he
kindles a fire and bakes bread. Then he makes a god and worships it, makes it a carved
image and bows down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire; over this half he roasts
meat, eats it, and is satisfied. He also warms himself and says, 'Ah, I am warm, I can
feel the fire!' The rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, bows down to it, and
worships it; he prays to it and says, 'Save me, for you are my god!'
They do not know, nor do they comprehend; for their eyes are shut, so that they
cannot see, and their minds as well, so that they cannot understand. No one considers,
nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, 'Half of it I burned in the fire; I also
baked bread on its coals, I roasted meat and have eaten. Now shall I make the rest of it
an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?' He feeds on ashes; a
deluded mind has led him astray, and he cannot save himself or say, 'Is not this thing in
my right hand a fraud?'

HYMN
Words: Henry Scott Holland, 1902, alt.
Tune: St. Leonard, Rhuddlan

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j254.html

Judge eternal, throned in splendor,
Lord of lords and King of kings,
with thy living fire of judgment
purge this land of bitter things;
solace all its wide dominion
with the healing of thy wings.

Still the weary folk are pining
for the hour that brings release,
and the city's crowded clangor
cries aloud for sin to cease;
and the homesteads and the woodlands
plead in silence for their peace.

Crown, O God, thine own endeavor;
cleave our darkness with thy sword;
feed all those who do not know thee
with the richness of thy word;
cleanse the body of this nation
through the glory of the Lord.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 4:12-end]:

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test
you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice in so far as you
are sharing Christ's sufferings, so that you may also be glad and shout for joy when his
glory is revealed. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because
the spirit of glory, which is the Spirit of God, is resting on you. But let none of you
suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief-maker. Yet if any of you
suffers as a Christian, do not consider it a disgrace, but glorify God because you bear
this name. For the time has come for judgement to begin with the household of God; if
it begins with us, what will be the end for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
And
'If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
   what will become of the ungodly and the sinners?'
Therefore, let those suffering in accordance with God's will entrust themselves to a
faithful Creator, while continuing to do good.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

Faithful God, living Saviour,
in youth and old age,
in weakness and adversity,
from the womb to the grave,
may we know your protection
and proclaim your great salvation
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Make our hearts burn to go back to the world
and speak your word of life in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a prayer by
Alan Griffiths.