OREMUS: 6 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 5 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, April 6, 2008
The Third Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of glory,
by the Spirit of the risen Christ
you gather us together;
for Christ is the one who walks with us,
who opens the scriptures
and breaks the bread of life.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Esdras 8:20-30, 46, 51-54]:

'O Lord, you who inhabit eternity, whose eyes are exalted and whose upper chambers
are in the air, whose throne is beyond measure and whose glory is beyond
comprehension, before whom the hosts of angels stand trembling and at whose
command they are changed to wind and fire, whose word is sure and whose utterances
are certain, whose command is strong and whose ordinance is terrible, whose look
dries up the depths and whose indignation makes the mountains melt away, and whose
truth is established for ever  hear, O Lord, the prayer of your servant, and give ear to
the petition of your creature; attend to my words. For as long as I live I will speak, and
as long as I have understanding I will answer. O do not look on the sins of your
people, but on those who serve you in truth. Do not take note of the endeavours of
those who act wickedly, but of the endeavours of those who have kept your covenants
amid afflictions. Do not think of those who have lived wickedly in your sight, but
remember those who have willingly acknowledged that you are to be feared. Do not
will the destruction of those who have the ways of cattle, but regard those who have
gloriously taught your law. Do not be angry with those who are deemed worse than
wild animals, but love those who have always put their trust in your glory.
He answered me and said, 'Things that are present are for those who live now, and
things that are future are for those who will live hereafter. But think of your own case,
and inquire concerning the glory of those who are like yourself, because it is for you
that paradise is opened, the tree of life is planted, the age to come is prepared, plenty
is provided, a city is built, rest is appointed, goodness is established, and wisdom
perfected beforehand. The root of evil is sealed up from you, illness is banished from
you, and death is hidden; Hades has fled and corruption has been forgotten; sorrows
have passed away, and in the end the treasure of immortality is made manifest.

HYMN
Words: Philip Doddridge (1702-1751), alt.
Tune: Croft's 136th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o722.html

O ye immortal throng
of angels round the throne,
join with our earth-bound song
to make the Savior known.
On earth ye knew
his wondrous grace,
his beauteous face
in heaven ye view.

Ye saw the heaven-born child
in human flesh arrayed,
so innocent and mild
while in the manger laid.
"Glory to God
and peace on earth,"
for such a birth
ye sang aloud.

Ye in the wilderness
beheld the Tempter spoiled,
unmasked in every dress,
in every combat foiled.
With great delight
ye crowned his head
when Satan fled
the Savior's might.

Ye thronged to Calvary
and pressed with sad desire
that awful sight to see--
the Lord of life expire.
E'en angel eyes
slow tears did shed:
ye mourned the dead
in sad surprise.

Around his sacred tomb
a willing watch ye kept;
till out from death's vast room,
up from the grave, he leapt.
Ye rolled the stone,
and all adored
your rising Lord
with joy unknown.

When all arrayed in light
the shining conqueror rode,
ye hailed his wondrous flight
up to the throne of God.
And waved around
your golden wings,
and struck your strings
of sweetest sound.

The joyous notes pursue
and louder anthems raise;
while mortals sing with you
their own Redeemer's praise.
With equal flame
and equal art,
do thou my heart
extol his Name.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 5:12-23]:

Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say there is
no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not
been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, then our proclamation has been in vain
and your faith has been in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because
we testified of God that he raised Christ whom he did not raise if it is true that the
dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If
Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those
also who have died in Christ have perished. If for this life only we have hoped in
Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died.
For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also
come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.
But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong
to Christ.

Christ is present with us, in us and through us.
In faith let us offer the prayers of our hearts,
as we set our faith and hope on God, saying:

We offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving;
and call upon your holy Name.

Fill your baptized people with spirit, O God,
and make our hearts burn within us,
that we may know you as you are revealed
in the opening of the scriptures and in the breaking of the bread.

We offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving;
and call upon your holy Name.

Protect our nation from futile ways and the pursuit of power,
that our people may be obedient to your truth
and manifest genuine mutual love.

We offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving;
and call upon your holy Name.

Fulfill your promise of life for everyone
and comfort those who live entangled in the cords of death,
that Christ may turn their suffering into glory.

We offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving;
and call upon your holy Name.

Stay with us and accept the concerns
and needs of this community,
that our eyes may recognize you
as the stranger along the way,
so that we may be filled by your teaching
and your eucharistic presence.

We offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving;
and call upon your holy Name.

Almighty Father,
who in your great mercy gladdened the disciples
with the sight of the risen Lord:
give us such knowledge of his presence with us,
that we may be strengthened and sustained
by his risen life
and serve you continually in righteousness and truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Make our hearts burn to go back to the world
and speak your word of life in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a prayer by
Alan Griffiths.

The litany is by Lowell Graham.