OREMUS: 5 April 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 4 18:51:51 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, April 5, 2008

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17)

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and its rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 43:1-7]:

But now thus says the Lord,
   he who created you, O Jacob,
   he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
   I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
   and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
   and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
   Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you.
Because you are precious in my sight,
   and honoured, and I love you,
I give people in return for you,
   nations in exchange for your life.
Do not fear, for I am with you;
   I will bring your offspring from the east,
   and from the west I will gather you;
I will say to the north, 'Give them up',
   and to the south, 'Do not withhold;
bring my sons from far away
   and my daughters from the end of the earth
everyone who is called by my name,
   whom I created for my glory,
   whom I formed and made.'

HYMN
Words: The Southern Harmony, 1835, alt.
Tune: Middlebury

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c176.html

Come away to the skies,
my beloved, arise
and rejoice in the day thou wast born;
on this festival day,
come exulting away,
and with singing to Zion return.

Now with singing and praise,
let us spend all the days,
by our heavenly Father bestowed,
while his grace we receive
from his bounty, and live
to the honor and glory of God.

For the glory we were
first created to share,
both the nature and kingdom divine!
Now created again
that our lives may remain,
throughout time and eternity thine.

We with thanks do approve
the design of that love
which hath joined us to Jesus' Name;
so united in heart,
let us nevermore part,
till we meet at the feast of the Lamb.

Hallelujah we sing,
to our Father and King,
and his rapturous praises, repeat:
to the Lamb that was slain,
hallelujah again,
sing, all heaven, and fall at his feet.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 3:1-12]:

Wives, in the same way, accept the authority of your husbands, so that, even if some
of them do not obey the word, they may be won over without a word by their wives'
conduct, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Do not adorn
yourselves outwardly by braiding your hair, and by wearing gold ornaments or fine
clothing; rather, let your adornment be the inner self with the lasting beauty of a gentle
and quiet spirit, which is very precious in God's sight. It was in this way long ago that
the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves by accepting the
authority of their husbands. Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord. You
have become her daughters as long as you do what is good and never let fears alarm
you.

Husbands, in the same way, show consideration for your wives in your life together,
paying honour to the woman as the weaker sex, since they too are also heirs of the
gracious gift of life so that nothing may hinder your prayers.

Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love for one another, a tender heart,
and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse; but, on the contrary,
repay with a blessing. It is for this that you were called that you might inherit a
blessing. For
'Those who desire life
   and desire to see good days,
let them keep their tongues from evil
   and their lips from speaking deceit;
let them turn away from evil and do good;
   let them seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.'

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Holy Father,
you have revealed in your only begotten Son
the power of the new and everlasting covenant:
on this day, which we have made your own,
feed your people with the bread of heaven
as they recount your marvellous deeds;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.