OREMUS: 1 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 30 20:42:41 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, October 1, 2007

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 60

O God, you have cast us off and broken us;*
 you have been angry;
   O take us back to you again.
You have shaken the earth and split it open;*
 repair the cracks in it, for it totters.
You have made your people know hardship;*
 you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
You have set up a banner for those who fear you,*
 to be a refuge from the power of the bow.
Save us by your right hand and answer us,*
 that those who are dear to you may be delivered.
God spoke from his holy place and said:*
 'I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
   I will divide the valley of Succoth.
'Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine;*
 Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my sceptre.
'Moab is my wash-basin,
   on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it,*
 and over Philistia will I shout in triumph.'
Who will lead me into the strong city?*
 who will bring me into Edom?
Have you not cast us off, O God?*
 you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.
Grant us your help against the enemy,*
 for vain is human help.
With God we will do valiant deeds,*
 and he shall tread our enemies under foot.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 8:1-8]:

The word of the Lord of hosts came to me, saying: Thus
says the Lord of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great
jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus
says the Lord: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in
the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the
faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts
shall be called the holy mountain. Thus says the Lord of
hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the
streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of
their great age. And the streets of the city shall be
full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says
the Lord of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the
remnant of this people in these days, should it also seem
impossible to me, says the Lord of hosts? Thus says the
Lord of hosts: I will save my people from the east
country and from the west country; and I will bring them
to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will
be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness.

HYMN
Words: Marnie Barrell (c)
Tune: Kingsfold

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html

Relentless lover, God in Christ
who died to set us free,
unswerving as your love for us
may our commitment be:
to come and learn what courage means,
and take the challenge up
to walk with Christ through death to life,
to drink his bitter cup.

And when we come, may that fierce love
be tasted, touched and known,
as we who gather round the Cross
meet in Christ's death our own.
God grant we shall not fear to drink
his cup, the blood he shed,
nor let our hands, unwounded, shrink
from taking up his bread.

So let the Spirit draw us near
to find, in hope and trust,
his broken body risen here,
his life renewed in us.
Life given, life renewed again
in thousandfold increase;
he lives, and sends us out to be
his living gift of peace.

SECOND READING [Luke 9:46-50]:

An argument arose among them as to which one of them was the greatest. But Jesus,
aware of their inner thoughts, took a little child and put it by his side, and said to them,
'Whoever welcomes this child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me
welcomes the one who sent me; for the least among all of you is the greatest.'
John answered, 'Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we
tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.' But Jesus said to him, 'Do not
stop him; for whoever is not against you is for you.'

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

God our help and strength,
look with mercy on all who are oppressed
in mind, body, or human dignity.
Shield and protect them,
and give them that wholeness
which is your will for all your children.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.