OREMUS: 26 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 25 20:55:18 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Wilson Carlile, Founder of the Church Army, 1942

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

Psalm 52

You tyrant, why do you boast of wickedness*
 against the godly all day long?
You plot ruin; your tongue is like a sharpened razor,*
 O worker of deception.
You love evil more than good*
 and lying more than speaking the truth.
You love all words that hurt,*
 O you deceitful tongue.
The righteous shall see and tremble,*
 and they shall laugh, saying,
'This is the one who did not take God for a refuge,*
 but trusted in great wealth and relied upon wickedness.'
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;*
 I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.
I will give you thanks for what you have done*
 and declare the goodness of your name
   in the presence of the godly.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ezra 9:5-9]:

At the evening sacrifice I got up from my fasting, with
my garments and my mantle torn, and fell on my knees,
spread out my hands to the Lord my God, and said,
'O my God, I am too ashamed and embarrassed to lift my
face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher
than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the
heavens. From the days of our ancestors to this day we
have been deep in guilt, and for our iniquities we, our
kings, and our priests have been handed over to the kings
of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, to plundering,
and to utter shame, as is now the case. But now for a
brief moment favour has been shown by the Lord our God,
who has left us a remnant, and given us a stake in his
holy place, in order that he may brighten our eyes and
grant us a little sustenance in our slavery. For we are
slaves; yet our God has not forsaken us in our slavery,
but has extended to us his steadfast love before the
kings of Persia, to give us new life to set up the house
of our God, to repair its ruins, and to give us a wall in
Judea and Jerusalem.'

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Mit Freuden zart

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l024.html

Let all creation bless the Lord,
till heaven with praise is ringing.
Sun, moon, and stars, peal out a chord,
stir up the angels' singing.
Sing, wind and rain! Sing, snow and sleet!
Make music, day, night, cold, and heat:
exalt the God who made you.

All living things upon this earth,
green fertile hills and mountains,
sing to the God who gave you birth;
be joyful, springs and fountains.
Lithe waterlife, bright airborne birds,
wild roving beasts, tame flocks and herds:
exalt the God who made you.

O men and women everywhere,
lift up a hymn of glory;
all you who know God's steadfast care,
tell our salvation's story.
No tongue be silent; sing your part,
you humble souls and meek of heart:
exalt the God who made you.

SECOND READING [Luke 9:1-6]:

Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons
and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to
heal. He said to them, 'Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor
money not even an extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from
there. Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust
off your feet as a testimony against them.' They departed and went through the
villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

Earth-shaking, sky-rumbling, all-powerful Trinity:
Behold your Church.

We thank you for claiming for yourself
servants from every nation and time
to be a royal priest dedicated to your service.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

We thank you for our common vocation
of giving witness to your coming reign.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Sift us like wheat,
convert the catechumens,
turn homeward the penitents
and welcome those who are strangers.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Clothe your Church with words and deeds that free and heal.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Light our lamps with the oil of your Spirit.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Make us and all your Church vigilant and alert
for your knocking on doors.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

O God,
you have taught us that it profits us nothing
   to have gained the whole world and to lose our souls:
enrich with heavenly wisdom the poor in spirit
and turn our hearts from the pursuit of vanities;

by whose grace Wilson Carlile, kindled with the fire of your love,
became a burning and a shining light in the Church:
inflame us with the same spirit of discipline and love,
that we may ever walk before you as children of light;

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

Wilson Carlile was born in 1847 in Brixton. He suffered from a spinal
weakness all his life, which hampered his education. He entered his
grandfather's business at the age of thirteen but soon moved on and learned
French fluently, which he used to good advantage in France trading in silk. He
later learned German and Italian to enhance his business but was ruined in the
slump of 1873. After a serious illness, he began to treat his religion more
seriously and became confirmed in the Church of England. He acted as organist
to Ira D Sankey during the Moody and Sankey missions and, in 1881, was
ordained priest, serving his curacy at St Mary Abbots in Kensington, together
with a dozen other curates. The lack of contact between the Church and the
working classes was a cause of real concern to him and he began outdoor
preaching. In 1882, he resigned his curacy and founded the Church Army, four
years after the founding of the Salvation Army. Under his influence it thrived
and he continued to take part in its administration until a few weeks before his
death on this day in 1942. [Exciting Holiness]